123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Mac Mini Set Up!!??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nico69uk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: New Mac Mini Set Up!!?? Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just taken delivery of a new mac mini (basic version) and am changing from a HTPC Windows 8.

Can anyone advise on what apps/software I should download?

Any VPN that works for all ios products, ie phone, tablet and mac mini

I use for downloading and streaming videos/football etc

I have an ipad and iphone, any apps that can control mac mini?

I am connected to an amp and 49 inch tv.

Thanks and look forward to your responses?
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats and welcome.

You will need a optical cable if you plan on surround sound on that model of mini.

Also you will need to make sure to install VLC media player for mac so you can play all movies and dvd's no matter region coding or other.

Also if you have devices like xbox's ps3's or anything like that i recommend rivet from the app factory they no longer support it but it does stream to all current game consoles and other items.

Nice screen choice. just remember you might have to turn on overscan in the display settings in system pref.

far from that your on your way.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New Mac Mini Set Up!!?? Reply with quote

nico69uk wrote:
Hi All,

Just taken delivery of a new mac mini (basic version) and am changing from a HTPC Windows 8.

Can anyone advise on what apps/software I should download?

Any VPN that works for all ios products, ie phone, tablet and mac mini

I use for downloading and streaming videos/football etc

I have an ipad and iphone, any apps that can control mac mini?

I am connected to an amp and 49 inch tv.

Thanks and look forward to your responses?
Download a good anti virus program. Like Sophos which I have running for over 2 years and it really helps and also it is free.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at Kodi (ex XBMC) or Plex , for what your after look at Kodi and add some channels Wink

I've had a Mac for 8 years and I'd ignore Marv777 advice about the anti virus. Yes you can run it and if you frequently share files with windows users than it might be worth while but for me I don't see it as something you really need as your first apps to install. I don't run anti virus as a resident application and never have. I occasionally do a one off scan with Norton but it's never found anything.

The programs which I normally install on a new Mac are Launch Bar, Little Snitch, Caffeine, VLC, Plex and 1Password. For remote login I use Teamviewer

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G - iPad Air 2 64GB
8TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 11TB Drobo S
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
Have a look at Kodi (ex XBMC) or Plex , for what your after look at Kodi and add some channels Wink

I've had a Mac for 8 years and I'd ignore Marv777 advice about the anti virus. Yes you can run it and if you frequently share files with windows users than it might be worth while but for me I don't see it as something you really need as your first apps to install. I don't run anti virus as a resident application and never have. I occasionally do a one off scan with Norton but it's never found anything.

The programs which I normally install on a new Mac are Launch Bar, Little Snitch, Caffeine, VLC, Plex and 1Password. For remote login I use Teamviewer
One day you will have a big surprise and get some kind of trojan or virus believe me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: