123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Importing All My CDs once again - lossless

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Importing All My CDs once again - lossless Reply with quote

The last time I imported my collection of 300+ CDs was in 2005. I had a G4 Mac mini with an 80GB hard drive. Compression was necessary to import my entire collection.

Now I have a 2TB internal drive, so I'm going to import my collection once again, but this time uncompressed AIFF. I could go Apple lossless without loss in quality, but given I have enough space and I never want to do it again, AIFF is the way to go.

I just hooked up a set of 5" Sinclair speakers and a 8" Sinclair sub, powered by a Yamaha amp. It's great to relive quality sound once again. I've had the speakers for a few years, but I hadn't bothered to hook them up because all my music was compressed.

I'm pleased to be free from compression once again. I know it may sound silly, but compressed audio has always been a turnoff for me. I can easily hear the difference. No I'm not an audio snob, I just listen to a lot of music with symbols and it's easy to hear the loss in quality, particularly on the high end.

Most of us went downhill in audio quality in the early 2000s and now the same thing has happened to video. What ever happened to Blu-ray taking over. Good luck 4K video.

Has anybody else considering doing the same thing with their audio collection now that hard drive space is so attainable and affordable... or are you doing the same thing I did for the past 8 years and still listening to compressed audio? Any plans on re-importing your collection?

Funny just noticed a pic of my old set-up from 2006 is still posted on this forum. Only real difference is I've went through 2 minis since then and now I'm using an iMac.

Another thing that is funny is I think my amp is the same color as the new iPhone 5S gold Smile
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Cymbals".... "cymbals"... Very Happy

(Enjoy your new-found collection!- I am thinking of doing the same thing one day.)
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mooblie wrote:
"Cymbals".... "cymbals"... Very Happy

(Enjoy your new-found collection!- I am thinking of doing the same thing one day.)

They're not spelled quite right when compressed either. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: