123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

file and folder manipulation - newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yardbird

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: file and folder manipulation - newbie Reply with quote

New Mac mini user. Jumped over from Linux. I have an external (usb) drive that I've been using to move stuff from the linux etx3 partitions, onto a fat32 partition of the external, then I can see them from the Mac.

Using Finder, I can see all the files just fine. What I'd LIKE to do is just MOVE them to a TRANSFER folder on the mini, empty the fat32 partition on the external, and then hook it back up to the linux box and move more files.

My eventual goal is to reformat the external to the Mac's native file format and use it for backups and archival storage. Once I do that, the linux box won't be able to read it any more, but that box is dying which is why I bought the mini.

How do I create a TRANSFER folder on the mini's hard drive so I can just dump stuff in it to get the file transfers done? I can sort them out later and put pictures and music and docs where they go, but for now I just want to get stuff moved before the linux box goes belly up for the last time.

thanks
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean just a folder, or do you want the Mac to synchronize the contents of one folder into another folder?

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
yardbird

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no I just wanted a folder named TRANSFER in my home folder so I could move files off of the usb external and get it to where I could empty the usb external and repartition it as Mac's native file system. I fudged my way through. I had to check a box in Finder preferences to get it to show my Home folder so I could add a folder to it.

So I have a USB external directly connected. It's only 640GB but should be fine for now. I wish the mini had an eSATA port, but.... such is life and I knew going in that it didn't have one Smile

Eventually I'd like to get some network storage so everyone can use it (wife and son), but right now I just need to get any important stuff off the linux box and onto the mini so it won't be a catastrophe when the linux box dies for good. I had to open it up to get it going again today. Smile It's about to breathe its last.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you have to do is click on the desktop, and make a new folder(either the Finder's File menu, or Shift-Command-n) and name it TRANSFER. The folder wouldn't be in your Home folder, but it would be in your user space.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: