123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Internet speed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rockysv

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Internet speed Reply with quote

I ended up getting an upgrade on my Fios to 25/50 and did a speed test and it ended up at 38/58

I thought that with the addition to 4G memory over the 1G that was in my Mini would really make a difference --

But it seems like it is having trouble loading web pages now

It's not --if any faster than the 15/25 i had--am i asking too much ?
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Internet speed Reply with quote

Rockysv wrote:
I ended up getting an upgrade on my Fios to 25/50 and did a speed test and it ended up at 38/58

I thought that with the addition to 4G memory over the 1G that was in my Mini would really make a difference --

But it seems like it is having trouble loading web pages now

It's not --if any faster than the 15/25 i had--am i asking too much ?
You are lucky with that speed you have. Here where I live it is pure crap the speed. 1.56Mbps. Live with that can you?
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the 15/25, 25/50, 38/58 the upload / download speed ? Your uploads are really good compared to what we get. We have fast download but crippled upload speeds I'm on something like 3/64

Regarding your web page issue, you will only really see the difference when your downloading bigger files. Even at 15mbps web pages should load with hardly any delay so it would be almost impossible to see the difference at 50mbps. Your also at the mercy of the web server and how thats being accessed, if its getting lots of requests you still have to wait your turn so that can introduce noticeable delays. They may also be hosted on a slow internet connection, so your connection will only run as fast as they can send the data to you.

Try downloading a 500Mb+ movie file of a fast service or the latest Mac OS update combo from Apple and you should notice a big difference. again you need to find a source that also has a fast connection. I can get these at my full speed of 64Mbps and they download in next to no time. Thats when you really see the fast network in action.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Rockysv

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil

This question is more ---to see if there is something else wrong with my computer --i just thought twice the speed would translate into faster response--

I'm not saying it's slow -- it seemed like some web pages would load better before -- sometimes i get the spinning ball for 2 minutes --and then the page loads -- before it would start loading -- and fill in --

i only paid $5 a month for the up grade - so its no big deal
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Speed Reply with quote

Rockysv wrote:
Phil

This question is more ---to see if there is something else wrong with my computer --i just thought twice the speed would translate into faster response--

I'm not saying it's slow -- it seemed like some web pages would load better before -- sometimes i get the spinning ball for 2 minutes --and then the page loads -- before it would start loading -- and fill in --

i only paid $5 a month for the up grade - so its no big deal
Be happy what you have.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fios: Bandwidth throttles all connections now to look for bittorrent users and for people pirating software this is why i dont use fios at all.

and because it's basically DSL which is not broadband its fake band you are asking to much.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockysv wrote:
Phil

You shouldn't really be seeing a slow down of two minutes, that sounds like something is wrong at your end. Try downloading Chrome or Firefox and see if they load the pages any quicker.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
because it's basically DSL which is not broadband its fake band

The term broadband refers to the wide bandwidth characteristics of a transmission medium and its ability to transport multiple signals and traffic types simultaneously. The medium can be coax, optical fiber, twisted pair, DSL local telephone networks or wireless.

I'm not sure why you discount DSL as not being broadband.

Anyhow...
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because broadband uses a higher signal rate where dsl's signal rate is 1200 baud rate a sec which is a dial up standard not a broadband standard this is why they have you place little boxes on every phone because a phone operates at 1300 baud per sec this is why you get interference with the dsl line being connected to a phone without a filter box...
Rockysv

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for what it's worth -- my speed is mush better tonight -- i dont know why -- but pages are loading in 10-15 seconds

It must be high usage in my area
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
because broadband uses a higher signal rate where dsl's signal rate is 1200 baud rate a sec which is a dial up standard not a broadband standard this is why they have you place little boxes on every phone because a phone operates at 1300 baud per sec this is why you get interference with the dsl line being connected to a phone without a filter box...

DSL is broadband.
Broadband refers to a communication bandwidth of at least 200 kbps. Seeing telcos are providing speeds up to 50 Mbps or more through copper, the service certainly qualifies as broadband.

Just Google "broadband" and you'll find DSL listed on wiki along with 100's of other sites defining broadband.

Filters are used because analog devices (telephones) can interfere with your DSL signal and your DSL signal will interfere with your telephone. If you have dark DSL (no telephone service) you don't need filters or a POT splitter, as a matter of fact you want to avoid them if unnecessary. This goes for phone jacks that don't have telephones plugged in. Don't put filters on these lines.

Sorry for being off topic.
Rockysv

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill
is Fios --DSL?

Is DSL different than broad band ?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockysv wrote:
Bill
is Fios --DSL?

Fios is DSL. Meaning the service is provided through the copper telephone lines entering your home. The service is uninterrupted. Meaning you have a constant internet connect 24/7.

Dial-up although provided through the same copper phone lines does not qualify to be labeled as broadband. You can't make a phone call while using the internet. You can't use the internet while making a phone call

DSL is also broadband.

Broadband is simply a term used to describe uninterrupted "high speed" internet service (above 200 kbps). Fios offers speeds from .5Mbps (500 kbps) up to 50Mbps, therefore it qualifies as being described as broadband.

So to sum it up Fios is DSL and broadband, the service is uninterrupted, through the copper phone lines and above 200 kbps.

Your download and upload speeds are impressive, but what you had before was already impressive. Paying for a higher speed internet connection isn't really going to make web pages load any faster. Maybe a bit but not much. Where you will see a big difference is when you are downloading a movie.

Try reseting Safari. Click on Safari (top left)... reset Safari.
That might help.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: ISP Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Rockysv wrote:
Bill
is Fios --DSL?

Fios is DSL. Meaning the service is provided through the copper telephone lines entering your home. The service is uninterrupted. Meaning you have a constant internet connect 24/7.

Dial-up although provided through the same copper phone lines does not qualify to be labeled as broadband. You can't make a phone call while using the internet. You can't use the internet while making a phone call

DSL is also broadband.Come here AND SEE WHAT SLOW SPEED IS!

Broadband is simply a term used to describe uninterrupted "high speed" internet service (above 200 kbps). Fios offers speeds from .5Mbps (500 kbps) up to 50Mbps, therefore it qualifies as being described as broadband.

So to sum it up Fios is DSL and broadband, the service is uninterrupted, through the copper phone lines and above 200 kbps.

Your download and upload speeds are impressive, but what you had before was already impressive. Paying for a higher speed internet connection isn't really going to make web pages load any faster. Maybe a bit but not much. Where you will see a big difference is when you are downloading a movie.

Try reseting Safari. Click on Safari (top left)... reset Safari.
That might help.
Rockysv

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill

Fios is Fiber Optic --- in our area --they have done away with copper --

i have Fiber running to the house-- but then it changes to Coax
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: