123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leaving Windows 8 for OS X....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DellApple

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Leaving Windows 8 for OS X.... Reply with quote

I am curious as I use both Mac OS X on my Mac Mini and Windows 7 on my Dell Laptop, do you think more people are switching to Macs because of Windows 8?

I tried Windows 8 and the desktop I was using it on is in my basement. I had it for 3 months and was ready to throw it out the window. I'm a tech Geek and never will I use Windows if it is in the Windows 8 format.
MrMini

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched over to OSX a few years ago, I like it because you don't have the constant updates and it is safer to use. the current Heartbleed virus going around does not affect the Mac.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can say i have gone mac and never looked back!!!

Not because of viruses or malware or microsofts spyware

and no i didn't mistype microsoft has encoded so much microsoft account information into windows 8 and 8.1 its a huge safety risk to your personal data and information and worse windows 8.0 and windows 8.1 can only be activated once so if your machine crashes im sorry you cannot activate again not a nice way to keep a customer.

i love my mac because apple used intelligence not greed to develop there products like giving the latest o.s away for free and updating all the applications people use ilife and even iworks into maverick so they wouldn't leave there customers behind.

i think that speaks tons especially when you think about this.

you can go into a apple store and talk to a certified mac tech to help you with your problems you sure cant do that with windows with windows you dial a 1-800 number and they transfer you to india and a 1-900 number just to ream money out of you

i perfer macintosh
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched after trying out an early beta of Vista, and seeing how Windows 7 and 8 have evolved I can see I made the right decision all those years ago. I still have to use Windows XP at work and I'm ok with that, but its very slow and frustrating to use. Recently I've also been using a newer laptop running Windows 7 and its a nightmare. I've only seen Windows 8 once and I was left scratching my head as I couldn't work out how to use it, and got stuck trying to close a full screen app Sad

Another reason for my switch was the greed of Microsoft. I was repairing a guys laptop which had been infected with a virus. I wrongly repaired it with my XP disk and it then needed my serial number and wouldn't accept his due to all the different versions of windows Sad The guy had a full legal version of Windows already but Microsoft Tech support insisted I would have to buy another copy to get a serial number. I told the guy I would get around it before I would pay for another copy and thanked him for helping me in my decision to ditch Microsoft. I then bypassed the activation so the guy had a working laptop and I bought my first Mac a week later and gave up with Microsoft.

Unfortunately the guy who owned the laptop was 100% legit and he didn't want to run a pirate copy so I was then forced to wipe his computer and do a full clean install and re set up of all his apps and hardware, just because of Microsofts anti piracy policy. All that extra work for nothing. This stupid anti piracy policy wouldn't have effected a pirate as they would have just bypassed it, but it did effect the guy who was legal. Sad MS wanted to rip off and not trust their legitimate customer. What happened to innocent until proven guilty.

I think Microsoft would have been screwed if Apple had priced the Mac Hardware more in line with PC prices. Loads of people I know have considered switching to the Mac but the price always puts them off.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently seeing a trend of people switching from XP to OS X. It's not necessarily because Windows 8 is bad, it's more because these same users have had good experiences with iPhones and iPads, so this time around they are willing to give a Mac a try, now that XP is no longer supported.

I do see a few people switching from Windows 8 to OS X, but they've usually used Windows 8 for a few months and are sick of Windows altogether. There are fewer of these people out there though because, not that many people have enough money to buy a Windows system, then switch to a Mac right away.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a computer, I don't mind W8 that much, but I switch right away to the traditional desktop.

I don't care for having to go back to the Metro interface to shut down.

On a tablet, or phone, I think W8 is great! I really like the way my coworkers W8P works.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it is if your going from XP to Windows 8 its like learning a new OS, so why not learn Mac OS X instead Cool

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like the 'wave' of converters happened a couple years ago, I don't have any stats to prove it or back it up, but based no the number of friends that used to call me for advice on their new mac and the calls I get today it seems that there are fewer switches.

I think those that continue to switch are moving still because of the iPhone/iPad, but I think some see the Microsoft headlines about killing off XP and they freak out. Reality is that Apple has done the same thing to products, its just the life cycle and lack of financial incentive.

I was a Mac guy, then headed to Windows during the beta phase, but I gave up n it in 2007 and dread working on the MS computers at work now.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y-Guy wrote:
It seems like the 'wave' of converters happened a couple years ago

I think were ready for another wave.

I still see the switchers coming into our Apple Reseller store by the drove. Today we had an extreme number of potential switchers come into our store (snowy Good Friday holiday. They had nothing better to do).

The comments that I hear over and over again is "our kids told us to get a Mac". We already have an iPad or iPhone.

Most of these people are running XP and it's been meeting their needs. They are very basic users, email, internet, photos is about all they use their computers for.

What I'm very surprised see is that these user know that XP is no longer supported. I'm quite surprised that such basic users know this. I guess bad news travels fast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: