123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

little help for a newbie?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yardbird

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: little help for a newbie? Reply with quote

So my Mac mini will be delivered on Monday. Obviously no DVD burner. I've looked a posts about getting a cheap USB DVD burner and I see that as a much higher probability than spending the dough for a USB Superdrive.

Right now, I only rarely burn a CD or DVD. A much more likely use would be for me to RIP music CDs to my iTunes or lately I have been collecting home movies from the family and converting them to DVD in whatever way I can. Trying to preserve them. Takes a ong time for me though and might be cheaper to just let someplace due the conversions for me. VHS to DVD is no problem. The old 8mm movies are a bit more problematic Smile

ANYWAYS.... I have to keep a Windows machine for a couple of programs that have no apple equivalent (for my medical equipment) and I *could* do and CD/DVD work on there, but..... I hate windows pretty sorely and try to stay as far from it as I can. (Been using linux as primary OS since about 2005)

So should I just hold off on getting any kind of external optical until I find out if I even need one? Or do you think I *will* need one and should just get one to have handy?
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to have one handy, but I haven't connected it up in over two years now. I do have a superdrive in my iMac buts its on the side and awkward to reach so I don't like using it. I can't remember the last time I have needed it.

Most of my CD's DVD's have long since been transferred over to Hard Drives so I don't really have many needs for an optical drive. Even if I buy new hardware that comes with an install disk I always tend to look for a more current version online before resorting to putting a disk in anyway.

I know I could manage without needing an optical drive, but if you think you might need one, then at least its a cheap option to buy a USB one. It may be worth buying one just in case.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
MrMini

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just get a apple superdrive and you want have any problems
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: