123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

G4 Mini: how to keep it internet-effective?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MiniRider39

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: G4 Mini: how to keep it internet-effective? Reply with quote

I have a couple of G4 Minis..1.42Ghz, each with a 1 GB stick.

Gradually, I'm running into more sites that tell me my browser(s) are obsolete; Safari seems to be hanging in there longer than FireFox, but what remains, is there are only so late a version I can even install on this Mac.

So...to keep this Mac able to be as effective as possible online, for my wife and myself, anything I can do? I'm running 10.4.11 now. Should I consider Linux? Will upgrading to Leopard help me at all?

things that are beginning not to support my browser are some YouTubes, and Gmail; Safari can run gmail; firefox can't. I'm speaking of versions that support Tiger.

Thanks for any information!

mini
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, and welcome.

I would certainly upgrade to the latest OSX possible, and maybe try Chrome too? Also: more RAM if they'll take it.

(Not very definitive advice, I know, but it's what I would try, until the other good people here come in with more specific advice!)
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: G4 Mini: how to keep it internet-effective? Reply with quote

MiniRider39 wrote:

Gradually, I'm running into more sites that tell me my browser(s) are obsolete; Safari seems to be hanging in there longer than FireFox, but what remains, is there are only so late a version I can even install on this Mac.

So...to keep this Mac able to be as effective as possible online, for my wife and myself, anything I can do? I'm running 10.4.11 now. Should I consider Linux? Will upgrading to Leopard help me at all?

things that are beginning not to support my browser are some YouTubes, and Gmail; Safari can run gmail; firefox can't. I'm speaking of versions that support Tiger.

mini

I do not think Chrome runs on the PPC platform.
Have you tried TenFourFox, an up to date version of FireFox created specifically for older versions of OS X.
Make sure you grab the right version for your needs from this URL...
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/37761/tenfourfox
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: G4 Mini: how to keep it internet-effective? Reply with quote

jb wrote:
MiniRider39 wrote:

mini

I do not think Chrome runs on the PPC platform.
Have you tried TenFourFox, an up to date version of FireFox created specifically for older versions of OS X.
Make sure you grab the right version for your needs from this URL...
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/37761/tenfourfox

Interesting. I would have thought there was no hope.
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: G4 Mini: how to keep it internet-effective? Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

Interesting. I would have thought there was no hope.

Coming from someone who dabbles in 'old macs', such as G4 Cubes and G5 PowerMacs as a hobby, I can say without hesitation, there is hope!
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My G4 was running 10.4.11 and connecting fine with the internet with OmniWeb, TenFourFox, and Safari, until I had to downgrade it to 10.5 for some software. I continued to use those three browsers until the drive gave up.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: