123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is there a way to only switch certain hard drives off?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: is there a way to only switch certain hard drives off? Reply with quote

power settings just does a blanket 'turn them off when possible to save power' thing

i dont want my external usb 3.0 ssd drives shutting off.
its caused a black screen on login once already.
and anyway, ssd's really dont need to be 'spun down'. they dont function the same as mechanical drives.

so, with that being said. can it be done?
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't given much information (OS, external brand/make/model)

You don't want your external drive to shut off when you power down? What are the console reports saying? Sounds like you have other issues if you are booting your computer and you get a black screen because the drive powered down.

For sleeping you can deselect the "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" checkbox. In addition you can is to change than 'blanket' settings that are available; don't let the computer sleep yet have the display sleep. If you are using a mini, not sure you are, the wattage it uses is low and you might feel comfortable justifying that.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
Leander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its an imac late 2013 model
el capitan 10.11
internal hd is a 1tb 5400rpm. used for storage now and a boot drive in emergencys.
inatek usb 3.0 enclosure with hyper-x fury 24gb ssd
inatek usb 3.0 enclosure with crucial m500 240gb ssd

the crucial m500 is the boot drive
the other ssd is just storage.

i dont want the internal hard drive constantly on, but i also dont want my external ssd drives to sleep when the computer sleeps

obviously a mechanical would fail earlier if its on 24/7, whereas a ssd isnt subject to the same level of wear and tear.

i had a black screen when i pressed a key on my keyboard to bring the imac out of sleep. the mouse cursor was onscreen but nothing else worked. had to power off the imac.

looking up that problem online i saw that leaving a thunderbolt cable in, unused could cause it. as could external drives.
although its never done it before and ive had the drives connected since i got the machine a month or so ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: