123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OS for a mid 2010 Mac Mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penletters

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: OS for a mid 2010 Mac Mini Reply with quote

Will a mid 2010 Mac Mini start up with OS 10.5.8? I have an external drive with some programs which won't run on 10.6, which is currently installed on the Mac Mini. Just wondering if I could still access those programs by using an external drive with 10.5.8 as the start up disk?

Jackie
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most likely not!!!

let me explain.

the 2010 and 2011 mac mini's have special hardware that 10.5.8 doesn't like to run the 2011 mac mini's have a sd card reader that causes 10.5.8 to crash the question i have to ask is simple what programs.

the reason is 10.6 support cycle ended about 2 weeks ago so 10.6 is now no longer supported by apple

and 10.5 is basically a door stop.

so what programs exactly!!!

because there might be alternatives
penletters

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The programs I need to run are Quark 6.1 and Word 2004. I have documents in both those programs that I need to access and possibly update as needed.
Jackie

[quote="macmanmacman"]most likely not!!!

let me explain.

the 2010 and 2011 mac mini's have special hardware that 10.5.8 doesn't like to run the 2011 mac mini's have a sd card reader that causes 10.5.8 to crash the question i have to ask is simple what programs.

the reason is 10.6 support cycle ended about 2 weeks ago so 10.6 is now no longer supported by apple

and 10.5 is basically a door stop.

so what programs exactly!!!

because there might be alternatives[/quote]
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quark and word 2004 both run in 10.6 but you have to install the latest updates for both of them to function
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: