123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66 - Replacing Hard Drive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stringbeany

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66 - Replacing Hard Drive Reply with quote

The original drive is starting to click and stutter after long durations of usage and I plan to replace it with this:

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-2-5-Inch-500GB-Cache-MQ01ABD050/dp/B00BHSXDSA/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1385840164&sr=1-10&keywords=2.5-Inch+500GB+sata

1 - This will work, yes? Is there any difference in dependability between this, Hitachi, WD or Seagate?

2 - The Mini is bootcamped, there is a small Windows XP partition. I don't need it. When I clone and copy the clone to the new drive, I just clone the OS X partition and restore it, that's it, right? Just ignore Windows.

3 - The OS X partition is 50gb. If it's only using 25gb, I should be able to clone the HD to a 32gb usb flash drive?
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would:
- setup the new drive in a temporary external case, and then

- use SuperDuper to clone the entire internal drive the the external one. This will move your partitions, system(s), apps and documents in all in one go.

Then,
- boot from the external drive, to make sure it's all working OK. It will be slow, as it's external, but you can check it's all moved across.

Finally,
- swap the old internal and the new external drives. Then boot from your new internal drive.
stringbeany

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mooblie wrote:
I would:
- setup the new drive in a temporary external case, and then

- use SuperDuper to clone the entire internal drive the the external one. This will move your partitions, system(s), apps and documents in all in one go.

Then,
- boot from the external drive, to make sure it's all working OK. It will be slow, as it's external, but you can check it's all moved across.

Finally,
- swap the old internal and the new external drives. Then boot from your new internal drive.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to do it this way. Feels safer than using a usb flash drive.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure you format your new hard drive on a external box first toshiba drives are known for bad firmware flashes to the hard drives so if you try to format your drive and it fails its not your box or data adapter but the hard drive itself and you won't know until you try to format it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: