Joined: 21 Jan 2005
|Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:09 pm Post subject: Apple Releases iOS 8.1 Update with Apple Pay
|Apple Releases iOS 8.1 Update with Apple Pay
Monday, October 20, 2014
Posted by: Staff
Apple today released the iOS 8.1 update for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users. According to the company, this release includes new features, improvements and bug fixes, including:
- Apple Pay support for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus (U.S. only).
- Photos includes new features, improvements and fixes.
- Adds iCloud Photo Library as a beta service.
- Adds Camera Roll album in Photos app and My Photo Stream album when iCloud Photo Library is not enabled.
- Provides alerts when running low on space before capturing Time Lapse videos.
- Messages includes new features, improvements and fixes.
- Adds the ability for iPhone users to send and receive SMS and MMS text messages from their iPad and Mac.
- Resolves an issue where search would sometimes not display results.
- Fixes a bug that caused read messages to not be marked as read.
- Fixes issues with group messaging.
- Resolves issues with Wi-Fi performance that could occur when connected to some base stations.
- Fixes an issue that could prevent connections to Bluetooth hands-free devices.
- Fixes bugs that could cause screen rotation to stop working.
- Adds an option to select between 2G, 3G or LTE networks for cellular data.
- Fixes an issue in Safari where videos would sometimes not play.
- Adds AirDrop support for Passbook passes.
- Adds an option to enable Dictation in Settings for Keyboards, separate from Siri.
- Enables HealthKit apps to access data in the background.
- Accessibility improvements and fixes.
- Fixes an issue that prevented Guided Access from working properly.
- Fixes a bug where VoiceOver would not work with 3rd party keyboards.
- Improves stability and audio quality when using MFi Hearing Aids with iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.
- Fixes an issue with VoiceOver where tone dialing would get stuck on a tone until dialing another number.
- Improves reliability when using handwriting, Bluetooth keyboards and Braille displays with VoiceOver.
- Fixes an issue that was preventing the use of OS X Caching Server for iOS updates.
Apple's new iOS 8.1 update is compatible with the following devices: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, iPad Air, iPad mini with Retina display, iPad mini, iPad (third- and fourth-generation), iPad 2 and fifth-generation iPod touch.