123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Refurbished Mac Mini MB138LL/A query's

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
iSh0w
New Member
New Member


Joined: 18 Oct 2013
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Refurbished Mac Mini MB138LL/A query's Reply with quote

Hey All,

This is my first post here. I am so excited today I have just bought a refurbished Mac Mini 2007 (MB138LL/A) from amazon for $219. While I wait in eager anticipation for it to arrive, I am trying to research all that I can, so I am ready to use it intelligently.

Request help on the following:

1) Will this adapter work or would you recommend this one, I already have a HDMI cable (which I use for my apple TV) and I just need display to setup my mac mini, the amazon deal included a mouse and keyboard.

2) I intend to use my mac mini as a HTPC i.e. installing Plex Media Server on it, connecting it to my wireless router via an Ethernet cable, I have a cheap NAS (GoFlex NET with Optware/PogoPlug installed, holds 2TB Seagate HDD, no Samba but direct access to files using .ceid method) I know I could just connect my HDD's via the USB ports, but I wanted a neat setup wrt the HDD's. Anyway, the NAS will be connected to the wireless router as well via a Ethernet cable. I intend to stream (1080p & 720p) only MP4 format movies from the Mac Mini to my Apple TV 2 and other devices (iPad/iPhone) using Plex Clients/Apps via the wireless router. Does anyone foresee any issues I need to understand/look out for with this kind of setup? (This setup worked well with a Intel core 2 duo laptop which will now be replaced by the Mac Mini MB138LL/A)

3) Since I am buying a refurbished device, I was warned during the purchase that I should expect it to be in a used condition, cosmetically. Is there any place online where I can look for cool case/skin for the Mac Mini, which would more options like this one?

4) What OSX would you recommend. Server or regular. The disclaimer during purchase said I would have Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard installed (but I would not receive the CD/DVD).


Thank you for your time, I know these questions ask a lot. Pl. let me know if you would like me to provide more detailed information which can help answer my questions.

Regards,
Jason.

Edit 1: I mentioned 1080p since I intend to buy an ATV3 in the future, I know ATV2 does not support 1080p and only 720p. I connect to the ATV via PlexConnect.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 01 Feb 2006
Posts: 2665
Location: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbished Mac Mini MB138LL/A query's Reply with quote

iSh0w wrote:

Request help on the following:

1) Will this adapter work or would you recommend this one, I already have a HDMI cable (which I use for my apple TV) and I just need display to setup my mac mini, the amazon deal included a mouse and keyboard.

The second is what I would suggest.

Quote:
2) I intend to use my mac mini as a HTPC i.e. installing Plex Media Server on it, connecting it to my wireless router via an Ethernet cable, I have a cheap NAS (GoFlex NET with Optware/PogoPlug installed, holds 2TB Seagate HDD, no Samba but direct access to files using .ceid method) I know I could just connect my HDD's via the USB ports, but I wanted a neat setup wrt the HDD's. Anyway, the NAS will be connected to the wireless router as well via a Ethernet cable. I intend to stream (1080p & 720p) only MP4 format movies from the Mac Mini to my Apple TV 2 and other devices (iPad/iPhone) using Plex Clients/Apps via the wireless router. Does anyone foresee any issues I need to understand/look out for with this kind of setup? (This setup worked well with a Intel core 2 duo laptop which will now be replaced by the Mac Mini MB138LL/A)

I'm not an expert at this, given that I just set up an HTPC myself, but this should work OK, as long as your wireless setup is fast enough to provide good streaming.[/quote]

Quote:
3) Since I am buying a refurbished device, I was warned during the purchase that I should expect it to be in a used condition, cosmetically. Is there any place online where I can look for cool case/skin for the Mac Mini, which would more options like this one?

I wouldn't expect any serious cosmetic blemishes if this is an Apple refurb; I have bought several refurbs from Apple and have never gotten a scratched unit.

Quote:
4) What OSX would you recommend. Server or regular. The disclaimer during purchase said I would have Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard installed (but I would not receive the CD/DVD).

I don't think you need Server for this setup.
_________________
Mini 1 (2011): 2.3 ghz Core i5; 8 gb RAM, Corsair 240gb SSD, 500 gb Seagate XT
Mini 2 (2009): 2.26 ghz Core 2 duo, 8 gb RAM, 500 gb Seagate used as HTPC
Also a Cube, 13" MacBook Air, 20" 2.66 ghz iMac & 11.6" Acer 1810TZ running Ubuntu & Crunchbang
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iSh0w
New Member
New Member


Joined: 18 Oct 2013
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

Dear Fox Sir,

Thank you. Appreciate your time and you sharing your thoughts Smile

Jason.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 5968
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything Fox said....
And you don't need server. Stick with Snow Leopard for that computer (forever).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iSh0w
New Member
New Member


Joined: 18 Oct 2013
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Wish you all a happy new year Smile
I got my Mac Mini mid 2007 and I must say I just find it sexy to use as a NAS and HTPC. *Does a cartwheel, in my mind Wink*

I did however fiddle with the OS, as I did not want to download a pirated XCode and needed Python 2.7 to run PlexConnect, I did a workaround I found here big F'ing mistake. According to the advise on that page I
Code:
rm python
(2.6) from
Code:
/usr/bin/
.
Now, although I unlink the symlink I am soo worried something is going to break.

I am hunting for the "python" folder I deleted as I don't have the snow leopard cd, I bought the refurbished mac mini via amazon which didn't come with the snow leopard cd, what a way to start learning how to use the Mac eh!.

After studying my Mac Mini Mid 2007 model here I came to understand that I can upgrade my ram from the 1GB I have now to 4GB. I checked for the type of RAM I need to get from here and came up with options after a search such as this and this one. I also checked on how I could upgrade the RAM myself.

So I guess my queries now are:
1) How could I get my hands on the system python folder for Snow Leopard i.e. Python 2.6.1 (r261:67515, Jun 24 2010, 21:47:49) without the CD.
2) I don't intend to update to OSX Lion as someone suggested in one of the earlier posts in this thread. So should I upgrade my RAM, I would like to convert files on the Mac Mini using Handbrake which is cumbersome using 1GB RAM and being unable to limit CPU usage using something like cpulimit (cpulimit would probably require XCode to compile). Should I get the 2X2GB i.e. 4GB RAM or would you recommend 2GB RAM. The links to the RAM I am thinking of buying, are they correct for the Mac Mini Mid 2007 model?
3) Should I install XCode and further play around using Homebrew or MacPorts or should I not finger around anymore, so tempted Very Happy

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to read and pl. ask me further questions in order to help me think or which would help you give me a better answer.

Regards,
Jake.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 19 Aug 2006
Posts: 694
Location: A large Island called Vancouver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be a good idea, seeing as to how you do not have the installation media for your operating system, to pick up a 8-16 GB usb pen drive and make yourself a bootable backup using Carbon Copy.
This way you'll have a way of booting should you need to repair your system for whatever reason, plus you can use it to restore your complete Snow Leopard OS X operating system should the need ever arise.
_________________
"I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol was a man nailed to two pieces of wood"
-George Carlin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
MrMini
Member
Member


Joined: 20 Mar 2013
Posts: 155
Location: USA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you dont need server, SL is rock solid..
_________________
IMac 20 " Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



      

Shop:  Apple Store  |  Refurbished Macs  |  Refurbished iPads  |  MacConnection  |  Mac Mini Vault  |  Other World Computing

MK 1 Studio Mac mini Racks  |  Crucial Mac Memory  |  Top Free Mac Apps  |  Top Paid Mac Apps



123Macmini.com is an independent publication and has not been authorized, sponsored, or approved by Apple Computer, Inc.
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owners.
Copyright © 2011 123Macmini.com. All Rights Reserved.