123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Running Windows software on a Mac

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacUser_Since_1986

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Running Windows software on a Mac Reply with quote

A few months ago, my aging MacBook Pro went kaput on me. I was forced to buy a refurbished late-2012 iMac. (Not enough money to get the laptop I wanted.)

This is the newest iMac; the one with no built-in DVD drive or FireWire. It runs MacOS 10.8 and has 8 GB of RAM. I also got a USB Superdrive for the iMac.

I need advice on how to run Windows software on this machine. I am concerned about going the Bootcamp route and running Windows 7 directly on the iMac. Sounds like a security risk. (Please, no debate over this point. That's not what this thread is about.)

Friends and other contacts have suggested running Windows via Parallels or Fusion. Does anyone here know about these "virtual machine" approaches? Also, can this virtual machine approach be used to run older versions of the MacOS on the iMac's brand-new hardware?

Some Windows software I may need to run:
    * - DeLorme Earthmate GPS software
    * - Microsoft Office (Windows-only software, such as Access, Frontpage and Publisher)
    * - software to possibly run a not-yet-purchased BluRay player
    * - others

I know this seems strange, but other people I interact with use these various Win-only apps and I need to be able to collaborate with them from time to time.

What are the differences between Parallels and Fusion? What do I need to do to install either of these?

T.I.A.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take your pick (bootcamp vs. Parallels). Windows is Windows. You need to protect Windows with either method.

Parallels and Fusion let you run Windows without having to restart the computer.

There are benefits to both methods. Gamers tend to favor bootcamp (less overhead because you are only running 1 OS). Your iMac is new enough that overhead is not an issue (unless you are a hardcore gamer).

Parallels and Fusion let you run Windows without having to reboot. Time Machine will back up your OsX and Windows environment. Cut and paste from One OS to the other. Drag and drop file folders etc. No need to partition HD or allocate HD space. Windows will only occupy the space needed.

To install either. Install Parallels or Fusion, then you will be prompted for the Windows disk.

There are plenty of 5 pages articles that compare the two. I'm bot going to get into a debate over which is better, both are good.

Parallels 1 install per license. Fusion you can install on all you home computers.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd vote Fusion. I've run both and have had less issues with Fusion, personally. I also prefer Fusion because of it's interface, it seems more intuitive to me. Lastly, Fusion allows you (Parallels may also) to put the app in the dock just like a Mac app. It will run Fusion in the background and you will only see the app window.

As far as running an older version of MacOs on the newer machine, I'd first ask why as most of the old legacy software has no support or has been updated to run on the newer OS's.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MacUser_Since_1986

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the software I have is old, including stuff on my almost-ten-year-old G4 iMac (which has OS X 10.4.11 and "classic" 9.2)

Some software can be replaced, but it's a matter of funding and timing. I'm trying to slowly transition myself so that I can eventually run everything on the new iMac and phase-out the old G4 iMac. This will take time. I need to find an interim solution, and I'm hoping a virtual machine could help me.
MacUser_Since_1986

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend, who used to live nearby but not lives hundreds of miles away, is an I.T. director for a government facility. He also uses VMware Fusion. He advised me to go that route.

Where is the best place to find a deal on a copy of Fusion? Is it boxed-only software, or can it be purchased via download? What is the latest version?
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if SheepSaver still works, but that might be the only way to use the older System 9 stuff these days.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheepshaver still works; I can run it on Mountain Lion.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacUser_Since_1986 wrote:

Where is the best place to find a deal on a copy of Fusion? Is it boxed-only software, or can it be purchased via download? What is the latest version?

If you are a student or educator, you can buy it for less on the VMware site. The educator price for the non-professional edition is $50 for the download version. I actually got it for $20 cheaper than that as a reward for testing their prerelease version.
Omarion2147

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Running Windows software on a Mac Reply with quote

MacUser_Since_1986 wrote:
A few months ago, my aging MacBook Pro went kaput on me. I was forced to buy a refurbished late-2012 iMac. (Not enough money to get the laptop I wanted.)

This is the newest iMac; the one with no built-in DVD drive or FireWire. It runs MacOS 10.8 and has 8 GB of RAM. I also got a USB Superdrive for the iMac.

I need advice on how to run Windows software on this machine. I am concerned about going the Bootcamp route and running Windows 7 directly on the iMac. Sounds like a security risk. (Please, no debate over this point. That's not what this thread is about.)

Friends and other contacts have suggested running Windows via Parallels or Fusion. Does anyone here know about these "virtual machine" approaches? Also, can this virtual machine approach be used to run older versions of the MacOS on the iMac's brand-new hardware?

* - DeLorme Earthmate GPS software
    * - Microsoft Office (Windows-only software, such as Access, Frontpage and Publisher)
    * - others

I know this seems strange, but other people I interact with use these various Win-only apps and I need to be able to collaborate with them from time to time.

What are the differences between Parallels and Fusion? What do I need to do to install either of these?

T.I.A.

you can just ask google for it..ya i used it too... i different type of software and do wanna know what happened at last?...i stopped using windows file and living a happy life with my one and only Mac ...End of the Story
Omarion2147

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Running Windows software on a Mac Reply with quote

[quote="MacUser_Since_1986"]A few months ago, my aging MacBook Pro went kaput on me. I was forced to buy a refurbished late-2012 iMac. (Not enough money to get the laptop I wanted.)

This is the newest iMac; the one with [u]no[/u] built-in DVD drive or FireWire. It runs MacOS 10.8 and has 8 GB of RAM. I also got a USB Superdrive for the iMac.

[list]* - DeLorme Earthmate GPS software
* - others[/list]

T.I.A.[/quote]

you can just ask google for it..ya i used it too... i used different type of software for windows file running and do you wanna know what happened at last?...i stopped using windows file and living a happy life with my one and only Mac ...End of the Story
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would use the virtual machine approach because you are using a gps

however you are then looking at

149.99 to 249.99 for a copy of windows 7 on amazon don't use windows 8 it wont run correctly.

now if you where just running apps and not needed the usb support for the gps i could recommend wineskin it runs all windows software in mac os native support and its free but no usb driver support for gps
saul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been happy with https://www.virtualbox.org/ over the years. It does everything I need at a much better cost (free).

Virtual or Bootcamp - With Windows 7 make sure to load an anti-virus like Microsoft Security Esentials.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: