123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iMac logic board questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bprice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: iMac logic board questions Reply with quote

My fan was stuck on full blast after it came back from the repair shop to have drives installed.My repair guy says the fan controller pin is broke on the logic board and I have to replace the board.I have a few questions.

1. is this a legit repair with no other viable options
2.Is it customary to not receive the logic board back (because they have to swap with apple to receive the new one)..btw my repair contract doesn't state that nor was I told it.
3.Is there a market for the logic board..the broken pin is the only thing wrong.
4.How much and to who and where.

As usual I need help ASAP.Thanks for your advice .

Butch

late 2009 iMac i7, 2.83ghz, 16gb ram 2tb ,HD ,10.9.4
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of repair shop is trying to stick you for something "they" broke?

There is info on the web where some have run the fan from an external power supply, ranging from 12v with a manual speed control down to 5v USB power.
Do a Google look about.
bprice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The root problem started with me.I replaced the fried HD with a new HD and the OD with an SSD.When I put everything back I accidentally cracked the glass while cleaning it (it is VERY, VERY delicate!!)I go so freaked out by it ....I forgot to put the monitor screws in and a week later the monitor fell out!

It pulled the display port jack connector out and bent a few pins.I got everything back together.Then I found the SSD wouldn't mount.So I recently (last week) decided to get it ALL sorted out when I put a SSD in place of the HD.

The Mac technician got the DP connector in no problem but he failed to tell me(or didn't know) when he took it apart the fan pin broke from the original monitor fall(possibly damaged but not broke because it worked ..).I had no problems with my iMac afterwards only that my SSD didn't mount(and that's solved now)

When I took t back because the fan was stuck and software couldn't control it I was told I needed a new logic board because ONE pin was broke.Unfortunately that sounds like an "Apple" anomaly(oops that 50 cent pin broke you need to replace the whole board.

I'm hoping the sale of the old logic board can help offset the new ones cost.

late 2009 iMac i7, 2.83ghz, 16gb ram 2tb ,HD ,10.9.4
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope if your selling a broken board nope people only want new unbroken boards so honestly i am sorry to say your sale wouldn't do jack
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: