123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini Shipping Times Slip to 5-7 Days
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Mac Mini Shipping Times Slip to 5-7 Days Reply with quote

Mac Mini Shipping Times Slip to 5-7 Days
Thursday, July 25, 2013
Posted by: Staff

It should be noted that Mac mini shipping times have temporarily slipped to 5-7 business days on Apple's online store. This slip in shipping times has lead some to believe that an update to the Mac mini is coming right around the corner, as a slip in shipping times can sometimes be seen as an early indicator of an upcoming refresh. There are also a couple rumors floating around about the Mac mini getting more of an update than just the expected move to Haswell-based processors from Intel. We're not sure about these rumors, but it should be noted that the Mac mini saw its last major redesign in 2010. So, a major redesign of the machine wouldn't necessarily be seen as a total surprise. It would be seen as a most exciting one though, don't you agree?

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/2035.html

Last edited by admin on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would absolutely love to see the Mac mini adopt the vertical stance of the new AirPort base stations. Even more so with a drive bay that could handle two 2.5" drives or one 3.5". That would be wicked awesome!
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say to expect an update, but my guess is it will be an underwhelming update. My guess is just a small processor bump to Haswell, with no other changes at all. Maybe a bump to 8GB RAM on the higher end model.

As much as we all love our minis, they are Apple's affordable option, not Apple's powerhouse.

Anyhow, exciting news. New is always fun.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vertical form factor makes a lot more sense unless you're racking a Mac mini server. From the point of view of its footprint sitting on your desk and taking up less room. But like Bandit Bill, I don't think it will happen at this time. Apple already seems to have more on their plate than they can handle. It doesn't seem like they would point a lot of engineering resources at the Mac mini at this point. It's probably just going to move up to Haswell, 802.11ac, and hopefully include some better integrated or dedicated graphics. Maybe even another Thunderbolt port. I guess it doesn't hurt to dream though. Smile
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About time. I have been holding off buying one for a couple months now. It probably won't be an exciting update, but one that brings the latest technology. I know people need to buy Macs everyday for different reasons, but who would buy one without 802.11ac at this point? The new base stations sort of made all the current Macs obsolete on that front. I also wouldn't mind seeing them boost up the Mac mini's GPU capabilities again. At least with one model carrying dedicated graphics or going full out with i7 models with Iris 5200 graphics. That's sort of my best hopes at this point.
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Apple needs to shake up the entire Mac line when it comes to design. Most designs are getting a little long in the tooth. Not that they aren't nice, it's just that some of the designs are getting a little less exciting.

Take the last MacBook Air update for example. Most would say the internal updates were awesome (screen resolution excluded), but the general design was pretty much the same. I'm not sure that excites people in a down computer market. Well, enough so to rush out and buy new Macs.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't get as excited about these updates anymore. Does anyone else feel the same way?
tom d

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Bandit Bill is on the money, it may be just a change to Haswell and possibly the new ac for wireless to go with the new Apple Router. The mid year changes are usually just small changes, I have been buying them every year since the 1.86 core 2 duo.

tom d
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I would say to expect an update, but my guess is it will be an underwhelming update. My guess is just a small processor bump to Haswell, with no other changes at all. Maybe a bump to 8GB RAM on the higher end model.

As much as we all love our minis, they are Apple's affordable option, not Apple's powerhouse.

Anyhow, exciting news. New is always fun.
Do you think the price will change if it is updated?
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original starting price of the Mac mini was $499 before Apple switched to Intel. I have often thought it would be smart form them to go back to that starting price. I really don't think they will though.

As for the design, something in the shape as the new AirPort Extreme would be cool. Even though they might look like the Twin Towers sitting together. Smile
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rightondamark wrote:
I know people need to buy Macs everyday for different reasons, but who would buy one without 802.11ac at this point?

Most people haven't a clue what 802.11ac is. I don't think I've heard a customer mention it at my Apple reseller store. It certainly has impacted sales in any way. I've mentioned it while presenting the new Airport Time Capsules. I honestly forgot all about 802.11ac when thinking of the new things we will see in a new Mac mini.

I think it's safe to say all new Apple computers will have 802.11ac moving forward.

Regarding price... I think we will see a price reduction this time around. We'll likely get back to the $499 mini. Personally I feel this is where the price should be for the entry level model. Also given that fact that I think the next upgrade will be nominal, a price reduction is in order.
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Most people haven't a clue what 802.11ac is. I don't think I've heard a customer mention it at my Apple reseller store. It certainly has impacted sales in any way. I've mentioned it while presenting the new Airport Time Capsules. I honestly forgot all about 802.11ac when thinking of the new things we will see in a new Mac mini.

I think it's safe to say all new Apple computers will have 802.11ac moving forward.

I agree with the thrust of what you're saying. I just think it should be a serious consideration for dedicated Mac users going forward. Especially if you're considering putting other new Apple devices on one of the new Airport devices (even though they are dual-band and support the older standards). Like a new Apple TV with 802.11ac networking, which should dramatically improve streaming performance to the device. It might also improve the performance and responsiveness of Airplay screen sharing. There's also file sharing speeds to consider between new Macs with 802.11ac. It's going to be much faster than other current Macs. So why not wait at this point? It's the latest and greatest they have going in their own routers.
Zuma

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love for the new Mac minis to come with standard PCIe SSD storage. That along with Iris Pro 5200 graphics and I will be breaking out the old credit card.
RickB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably update this time around after Mavericks comes out. It's not a deal breaker, but I would also like to see them keep the same design.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: MM Reply with quote

Ben Tex wrote:
The vertical form factor makes a lot more sense unless you're racking a Mac mini server. From the point of view of its footprint sitting on your desk and taking up less room. But like Bandit Bill, I don't think it will happen at this time. Apple already seems to have more on their plate than they can handle. It doesn't seem like they would point a lot of engineering resources at the Mac mini at this point. It's probably just going to move up to Haswell, 802.11ac, and hopefully include some better integrated or dedicated graphics. Maybe even another Thunderbolt port. I guess it doesn't hurt to dream though. Smile
Just curious when the new MM comes out will you get another new model or keep yours? Question
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be sitting out this round, but it will still be interesting to see what they do with the Mac mini. Next to the 13" rMBP, the Mac mini is still my favorite Mac.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: