123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Password Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Password Problems Reply with quote

I'm new to using a wireless router. I hooked up the Mac Book and turned on the Airport. It recognized the network set up by my roommate long ago. I typed the password into an Apple dialogue box and it worked. It worked fine for three weeks.

Today the internet stopped. I turned the Linksys E1000 off and on to reset it. When I tried to reconnect I see that the signal is good. Then I typed in a URL and it took me to a Cisco page asking for the password. I typed it in and it is not being accepted. I plugged the Mac Book into the router with an ethernet cable and the hard connection works and does not require a password. Does anybody know why this is happening? Since this is such a popular router I'm hoping someone here has experience with it.

Right now my computer is plugged directly into the Linksys router using one of the four ethernet ports.

Since this router doesn't belong to me I don't have total control over it and can't mess with it. It is not in my room so I can't remain connected to it all of the time.

I do have a question about it. Can I buy my own router and plug it into the ethernet port of the Linksys wireless router and have my own working wireless system? The modem from the cable internet company has only one ethernet port and it is connected to the existing router.

Would my routers wireless signal mess up the other signal and vica versa?

I need help soon because I live on the internet and I'm in the middle of trying some new programs and need access to company forums to get assistance with them. Also I just hate being without access to watching Netflix and Youtube.
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my roommate to open his software and reset the passwords. Right now it is working. Thank you for reading about this and thinking of a solution, but; I would still like to know if I can use my own router beside his router. That way I have control over my own internet without having to hope that his router doesn't mess up or fail.

Also I do use Linux OSs on a different machine so I can't rely on the Airport Extreme.

Thank you.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Password Problems Reply with quote

Smallwheels wrote:
I do have a question about it. Can I buy my own router and plug it into the ethernet port of the Linksys wireless router and have my own working wireless system? The modem from the cable internet company has only one ethernet port and it is connected to the existing router.

You can totally do this with most routers. And it's super easy with the Airport Extreme and Express. You basically just connect the cable into their WAN port and follow the setup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: