123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can HDMI + digital audio both connected?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PipZippy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Can HDMI + digital audio both connected? Reply with quote

I had a question to ask. Does anyone know if you can have HDMI and digital audio connected to separate devices without the superseding one another? Here's what I would like to do with one. Have HDMI connected to my TV and powered speakers connected to the digital audio out port. That way I can use my speakers separately from the TV when it's powered down with AirPlay. Which I assume you do, right?
geeji

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I have not used it myself, that should be possible using a "compound output" created with the "Audio MIDI Setup" utility of Mac OS X.
BTW, you also need a recent enough Mac Mini to have HDMI with Audio (2011 AFAIK).
But I don't know what will happen when the audio stream on HDMI is incompatible with the optical out (like Dolby TrueHD); hopefully, Mac OS X will perform a proper down conversion.
PipZippy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, but I think you might be confused with my question. I'm interested in doing this with an Apple TV. Not a Mac mini.
MacNcheese

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although this is an older post I thought I'd chime in. The short answer is yes you can have both. I just installed an Apple TV into my HT system. I'm running an HDMI from the Apple TV into my Panasonic Plasma monitor and digital audio into my OPPO DVD player. From the OPPO I exit through the 6.1 analog output to my Anthem AVM30. This gives me full audio to my Magnepan speaker system. I can also turn on the monitor speakers and listen through them also although that won't occur very often.

Mini~2.3GHz i7/16GB/1.0TB/WD Cloud 2TBx2, WD My Book 2TBx2 /LaCie DVD/CD drive/Airport Extreme/Airport Express/ LaCie 324 monitor.
iPod Classic x2
iPhone 4S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: