123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old software on a brand-new iMac

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacUser_Since_1986

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Old software on a brand-new iMac Reply with quote

I recently replaced my aging MacBook Pro (it was a Core2Duo machine running MacOS 10.6.Cool with a new-for-Fall-2012 iMac (Core i5 running MacOS 10.8.3).

Some of my old software that I transferred over from the MacBook Pro's hard drive will not run; the software is old, PowerPC-era MacOS X software.

Is this software permanently kaput, and absolutely nothing I can do about it? Is there a fix I can try?
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leo) was the last system with Rosetta, allowing PowerPC apps. Not sure if you have any options, expect trying to put 10.6.8 on your new mini? (that is not trivial, though!)

If your old MacBook Pro is still running, you may have to export any important data from PowerPC apps into more formats readable by more modern software.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup kaput.

Apple gave you 8 years to upgrade to Intel based software and now you are out of luck. That's just the way it is.
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Yup kaput.

Apple gave you 8 years to upgrade to Intel based software and now you are out of luck. That's just the way it is.

Worth noting that in those same 8 years Apple never bothered to update some of their own software to Intel, namely "AppleWorks" which many people are still struggling to find solutions to for their AppleWorks data.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats true there is a solution though that will help you.

https://www.virtualbox.org

and its free and even better it runs older operating systems for mac via virtual machine surprised so was i.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: