123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Base 2011 Mac mini with SSD and HDD - bootcamp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJL

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Base 2011 Mac mini with SSD and HDD - bootcamp Reply with quote

Just posting the problem and the solution here since someone may have a similar issue. (Took a decent time to get it figured out). Too much waffle and armchair scientists on the other site, this is where the real knowledge hides.

OK - have a base Mac mini 2011. Install under BootCamp Windows 7. Decided I want to run Windows on a SSD. Make backup with Winclone, open up Mac mini, move original HDD and add SSD in HDD location.

After booting in OS X I somehow managed to get Windows 7 installed on the SSD (cannot remember how) and all is happy - can switch the startup disk from within Windows and OS X. Backups and restores with Winclone work like a treat and never miss a beat.

Roll forward a year - added a Mac mini Server and the 2011 Mac mini will become my wife's machine. Since I do not want the hassle of maintaining backups etc I decide to put her on OS X and turn on TimeMachine. Obviously I want now OS X on the SSD. Backup to TimeMachine. Make additional backups of everything to external RAID-1.

After booting from TimeMachine restore OS X to the SSD. Now Bootcamp does not want to start and error message appears "upgrade to latest bootrom" (or something to that extend). In system the startup cannot see the second hard disk and restoring with Winclone is also not happening - Winclone does not want to see the Windows NTFS partion on the HDD. (was created as an exFAT under OS X and reformatted under Windows.)

Played around with windows diskpart (clean) but still no joy.

Solution:

In diskutility partitioned the HDD, one OS X for TimeMachine and one exFAT.

Attach an external DVD drive and boot a Windows 8 install DVD. Point it to the exFAT partition and format to NTFS (do not delete). Let the install complete. Upon reboot a black screen.

Boot into OS X and now Winclone will see the partition on the HDD. Do a restore of the earlier backed up partition and let Winclone replace the BCD.

Bless, all back to action again and the startup disk can be changed under both OS X and Windows. Unfortunately BootCamp still has an error message and won't do its trick. I suspect the non functioning BootCamp may have to do with that this machine is not offcially supporting two drives.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: