123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Updated my Late 2009 MM to 8GB - love it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Updated my Late 2009 MM to 8GB - love it Reply with quote

At work I use a Mini, I've had it for a while and done well but showing its age - or so I thought. Since I upgraded to ML it felt a bit sluggish, then again running on only 2GB of RAM probably was the issue. Well I finally bit the bullet and ordered 8GB of RAM from Crucial memory, maybe not the cheapest but I've always had good luck with them. I'd watched the various install videos and write up's and felt comfortable doing the tear down.

All went well until the two side antennas came undone, oops. Found instructions from one of the ifixit pages and had those reinstalled. However I failed to properly seat one of the RAM modules and only showed 4GB so tear it down again, sure enough my bad. Reseated the RAM and put it together.

Upon login I was AMAZED how fast it loaded all of the various items I have running. Dropbox, Messenger, printer app and a program called Spark which is an internal instant messenger that is a bit of memory hog. They were all loaded in a couple of seconds, not a few minutes. Even Microsoft Word and Excel are bearable to use now.

Needless to say I'm a very happy camper, I can't believe how much faster the memory has made my system. As much as I'd love a new one, this one is paid for and working great.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it really makes a difference. You can even take that to the next level by upgrading to a SSD. In fact, that's the little dirty secret right now. You upgrade to 8GB-16GB of RAM, then put in a SSD, and you have yourself a really nice system. One that performs very well for everyday tasks. I see no need to upgrade to a newer PC or Mac if you have a later model CPU from Intel. I mean, unless you are really into gaming and need top performance from a video card. That being said, Haswell could really shake things up on the laptop side of things. At least it becomes a little more compelling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: