123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FA: Mini System WITH Dell 1905FP Flat Panel Display....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Classifieds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark2741

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: FA: Mini System WITH Dell 1905FP Flat Panel Display.... Reply with quote

I've decided to move to an iMac and put my full Mini system, including MiniStack, 1GB Ram, iMic, and Dell 1905FP 19" DVI display up on ebay all in one shot:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8747668515

$999 Buy it Now is not totally unreasonable considering that just the Mini alone, not upgraded, goes for mid-$500 range on ebay (don't ask me why, but I'm not complaining).
christian3807

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Rip off I can buy anew onef or the same price....And your not selling the monitor in the auction.. Confused
mark2741

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning I decided to keep the monitor and other upgrades and just sell the Mini. The original post was in reference to the original auction which included the fp display, MiniStack, 1gb of ram, etc.

The Mini I have for sale is $599 new at Apple, plus tax. The one I am selling will go for between $500 and $550, and it includes a boat load of expensive apps such as Macromedia Studio 8, Adobe CS2, Office, Pages, etc. That's where the value lies.

Most Mac users who are open to running unlicensed software aren't knowledgable enough to download and get these apps to work. If you are, then this wouldn't be a deal I would take either - I'd just go buy a new one from Apple and pay a little over $600 with tax.

The original deal I had on the auction, with fp display, ministack, etc, was a very fair deal.
davidc81

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, how much do you want for the ministack? i am local and could pick it up if nesscessary.
mark2741

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I decided the morning after putting my entire Mini system up for auction to just auction off the Mini unit itself and keep the rest (1GB RAM, 19"Dell flat panel, MiniStack, etc) in anticipation of the *hopefully* new Mini getting introduced on Tuesday. Worst case scenario would be if they don't introduce a new Mini, or they introduce a new one but up the price on it (which I seriously doubt they would - otherwise it's definitely iMac time for most would-be Mini purchasers), then I'll have to just settle for one of the newer stealth 1.5ghz models (which I should have gotten in the first place since I bought my Mini in October).

So at this point I don't plan on selling the MiniStack, however if my Mini sells for a better than expected price (doubt it) and/or Apple does not introduce new Mini models on Tuesday, then I will most likely sell it. If I do sell it, the price would be $120. That includes the mint MiniStack with an 80GB 7200RPM/2MB Cache drive (if I recall correctly it's a Western Digital, about 6 months old). I would definitely prefer local pickup to avoid shipping. Shoot me an email via my website: www.sixstringtheory.com if you're interested after Tuesday.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark2741 wrote:
Most Mac users who are open to running unlicensed software aren't knowledgable enough to download and get these apps to work. If you are, then this wouldn't be a deal I would take either - I'd just go buy a new one from Apple and pay a little over $600 with tax.

If by unlicensed you mean illegal? Please tell me you're kidding...

Also, I think that $569 is high, considering the "illegal software with HUGE value..." crap. I can't even find shipping costs, so I assume it'll come to be about the same price as a new retail system. Probably more if you calculate the USD value of the warranty.

Oh, it's also really high considering with a new one you get a chance to get an updated one.

Drop the BIN price to $530 and include a complimentary reformat "brand new" Mini.

eBay insider secter: it'll cost you less and you'll make more money if you list items at $1.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
mark2741

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see where the joke is. A large percentage (I'd bet it's around 90%) of Mac users are not all that sharp when it comes to knowing how to acquire pirated software. Just because you don't wish to partake is irrelevant. You're not buying it. And don't give me the "I pay for it through high software prices" crap either. I've been purchasing software since the very early 80's and piracy is not the cause of the inflated prices.

Irregardless, whether you think the price is high or not, ebay bidders do not. Check the history of recent Mini sales with the same specs as the one I have for sale and you'll see that they sell in the low $500 range. Why? Got me. Because the buyers are idiots is the only thing I can guess as to why they'd pay that much. But they do. Same for the guys paying $1150 for an iMac that is older than the one you can get new for $1299. I'm not arguing. Then again, I'm not on the buying end either.

As for shipping costs....it would be whatever it is. I'd estimate between $10 and $15 anywhere in CONUS via UPS Ground.

And again, as for the price being too high and a potential buyer being better off buying one new with the almost guarantee nowadays that they'd get the 1.5ghz model - I agree! They're stupid to buy my Mini. But in a few days guess what? I'll have sold it for around $525 to the highest bidder. And I'd be more than happy to give them a clean install if they prefer, but based on the 4 or 5 emails I've already received from potential bidders asking me about the contents of the drive already, I doubt they'll want me to do that.

And as for the "ebay insider secter" (whatever the hell that means) - I've been buying and selling on ebay for a while (over 200 transactions now I guess) and you'd be right 99.9% of the time. But this time, with the impending Mini updates come Tuesday, and the Apple stealth upgrade currently in the stores, it's too risky of a move. Worst case scenario for me is someone buys it at $499 and I have to add $100 of my own cash and wind up with a 1.5ghz upgraded model. I'm banking on that not happening though.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark2741 wrote:
I don't see where the joke is. A large percentage (I'd bet it's around 90%) of Mac users are not all that sharp when it comes to knowing how to acquire pirated software. Just because you don't wish to partake is irrelevant. You're not buying it. And don't give me the "I pay for it through high software prices" crap either. I've been purchasing software since the very early 80's and piracy is not the cause of the inflated prices.

It's illegal. Out of respect for the mods and this site, don't discuss that here. I also wouldn't recommend selling a computer full of pirated software like that over the internet then fambling on about it. Chance of being caught is very small, but it's still a dumb risk.

mark2741 wrote:
And as for the "ebay insider secter" (whatever the hell that means) - I've been buying and selling on ebay for a while (over 200 transactions now I guess) and you'd be right 99.9% of the time. But this time, with the impending Mini updates come Tuesday, and the Apple stealth upgrade currently in the stores, it's too risky of a move. Worst case scenario for me is someone buys it at $499 and I have to add $100 of my own cash and wind up with a 1.5ghz upgraded model. I'm banking on that not happening though.

I don't know what I meant to put in quotes, but I'm tired. It was something along the lines of "tip." It was more as a tip for other people than for a slam on how you choose to do business on eBay. I do know my stuff when it comes to it as I used to work for a company whose entire business model relied on eBay, and I also have a rating of a couple dozen on the site.

Your mini is overpriced. I don't care what other people do and I don't think people here should big on it as there are better deals elsewhere and you'll get a good deal from the suckers on eBay.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
mark2741

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It's illegal. Out of respect for the mods and this site, don't discuss that here."

Your the one who pointed it out. Don't want it discussed, then don't start a discussion on it. As for respecing the mods and this site - they have nothing to do with the content of the forums and carry zero liability for what is contained in the forums.

"I also wouldn't recommend selling a computer full of pirated software like that over the internet then fambling on about it. Chance of being caught is very small, but it's still a dumb risk. "

You have no idea what you are talking about. There is nothing illegal about selling a computer in which the drive has not been wiped. The illegality comes when the buyer takes possession of the drive and continues to use it without purchasing licenses for each piece of overpriced software. So there isn't any "dumb risk" - only dumb generalizations by you.

Have a nice day.
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I completely agree with every point Susurrus has made, and think there's no room on this site for a post like this.

I really wish the mods would just delete this whole thread.

Shocked

Jamie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Classifieds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: