123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Photoshop Elements 11 & Mac Mini 1.66 Intel Core Duo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giambattista

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Photoshop Elements 11 & Mac Mini 1.66 Intel Core Duo Reply with quote

Hello, I’m using Mac Mini 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo with Mac OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. When I try to install Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 I receive this error message: “Some errors occurred during installation. Adobe Elements 11 can be installed on 64-bit systems only.” Here is the question: is Photoshop Elements 11 compatible with my computer and operating system? I guess my computer runs at 32-bit. Why do I receive that error message when I try to instal the Trial version of the software? I have read that Photoshop Elements 11 is compatible with both 32-bit and 64-bit systems. Thank you.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem that regardless of what you have heard, Photoshop Elements 11 requires a 64 bit CPU. As per Adobe, it does require a 64 bit Intel CPU. Your Core Duo processor is not a 64 bit processor. You can upgrade it to a 64 bit CPU fairly cheaply.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
giambattista

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.
The idea to upgrade to a 64-bit CPU is great.
I sure will in the next future.

Meanwhile please note the following facts.

I have successfully installed Photoshop Elements 11 Trial one week ago and used it with great pleasure until yesterday. Then something happened: I received an error message saying some elements were missing, and suggesting me to reinstall the software. So I removed the program and I tried to reinstall it. That’s when the 64-bit message came out!

Please check this prodesigntools.com forum dealing with the 32-bit versus 64-bit topic.

http://prodesigntools.com/photoshop-elements-11-premiere-elements-11-are-out-pse-pre.html#comment-42117

On prodesigntools.com they say Photoshop Elements is a 32-bit native program. They also said:

“(…) not sure what’s going on there as Photoshop Elements is definitely not a 64-bit-native application – in fact it runs in 32-bit Compatibility Mode on 64-bit systems… So there’s something else at play here.”

Furthermore:

“(Note that Premiere Elements does now come with two flavors – both 32-bit and 64-bit native versions to choose from… But Photoshop Elements remains a 32-bit application.)”

Here some questions.
I have recently upgraded RAM memory and Hard Drive; now I have a 250GB Solid State Hard Drive and 2MB RAM.
I wonder if the problem is that my computer is defective because of these upgrades. Although I have tested the hardware and everything seems OK.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope i can explain this and it's not good !!!

See adobe updates there software to be compatible with the lastest updated versions of mac os x which is 10.7 and 10.8 which is what 11 runs under it will not run under 10.6.8 at all you need 10.7 or 10.8 bad news 10.8 wont run on your machine and nor will 10.7 lion but i can recommend something for you click back on the general software section here on 123macmini.com and go to the adobe photoshop cs2 post its there on adobes site its free and its the full version and it runs on 10.6.8 no issues what so ever
giambattista

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
It would seem that regardless of what you have heard, Photoshop Elements 11 requires a 64 bit CPU. As per Adobe, it does require a 64 bit Intel CPU. Your Core Duo processor is not a 64 bit processor. You can upgrade it to a 64 bit CPU fairly cheaply.

SC

Could you please suggest which 64-bit CPU I can use for upgrading my Mac Mini 1.66 GH Intel Core Due?
There are so many types and models that I'm not able to choose the right one.
Thank you.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mac OS

64-bit multicore Intel® processor
Mac OS X v10.6 through v10.8
2GB of RAM
7GB of available hard‐disk space to install applications; additional 5GB to install content
Graphics card with the latest updated drivers
1024x768 display resolution
DVD‐ROM drive (compatible DVD burner required to burn DVDs; compatible Blu‐ray burner required to burn Blu‐ray discs)
DV/i.LINK/FireWire/IEEE 1394 interface to connect a Digital 8 DV camcorder
QuickTime 7 software
Internet connection required for Internet-based services*

As for upgrade CPUs, you can use the T7200, T7400, and the T7600. There is also the 1.83 GHz chip, but I don't know it's designation. Make sure it's a PGA (pins!) part and not a BGA part.

SC

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
giambattista

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your suggestion.
I will definitely go for Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0Ghz upgrade.

Now I have a more specific question regarding software.

I’m currently a happy user of the well-known audio editor Bias Peak Pro 7.0.3. I have authorized the program successfully a few months ago on my Mac Mini. Now BIAS, Inc. has ceased operations; furthermore BIAS Authorization Manager Server is no longer functioning. “Bias-Inc.com expired on 03/14/2013 and is pending renewal or deletion.”

I know that if I go to Library/Application Support/Audio/BIAS/Licenses on my currently authorized copy there are a number of .BAF files; and if I copy these to my new unauthorized installation and restart Peak, it will automatically authorize my new installation. I’m also aware that Bias authorization works only on my Mac Mini network card address.

Here is the question.
If I upgrade to Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 processor will the .BAF files still authorize the program?
Thank you.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would venture to guess that is a question for the BIAS community to answer.

It could work, or if BIAS did some sort of system based checksum for your license, then changing something that alters that checksum could invalidate your license. Of course that's a pretty lame way to lock a license to a particular computer, but some companies are that way.

Or, it could just work.

SC

Make sure it has pins!
giambattista

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bias Peak Pro 7 authorization problem solved.
Bias Authorization Manager Server is back at work!

Now I have a question regarding sockets supported BGA479 and PGA478.

The CPU INTEL Core 2 Duo Processor T7200 I would like to buy says:
"Sockets Supported: PBGA479, PPGA478."

Could you please explain the difference between PBGA479, PPGA478.
Are both compatible with my Mac Mini Intel Duo Core to be upgraded?
Will any problems arise with PBGA479 and PPGA478?

I’m asking this because you said:
"Make sure it's a PGA (pins!) part and not a BGA part."

Thanks again for the information supplied.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: