123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fan noise with 2012 mac mini ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macfandave

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan noise with 2012 mac mini ? Reply with quote

LeChuck wrote:
macfandave wrote:
I read about how the fan kicks in when the 2012 mac mini is being put to full use, so how loud is it really as with my 2009 version I have never heard the fan !

The 2012 Mac-mini is my first mini, so I can't compare the fan noise to previous models. That said, when the graphics card gets taxed (watching movie or working on large files in Photoshop), the fan noise gets very loud. I can even hear it while wearing closed headphones and while talking on Skype.

Just watching a movie and it's very loud ? Hmm does'nt seem very good
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan noise with 2012 mac mini ? Reply with quote

macfandave wrote:
LeChuck wrote:
macfandave wrote:
I read about how the fan kicks in when the 2012 mac mini is being put to full use, so how loud is it really as with my 2009 version I have never heard the fan !

The 2012 Mac-mini is my first mini, so I can't compare the fan noise to previous models. That said, when the graphics card gets taxed (watching movie or working on large files in Photoshop), the fan noise gets very loud. I can even hear it while wearing closed headphones and while talking on Skype.

Maybe there is a lot of dust on the fan. I would clean it out first and than try it again.Could be the graphics card is no good also.You have it under warranty bring it in to see what is wrong.
opinio

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan noise with 2012 mac mini ? Reply with quote

macfandave wrote:

Are you coding the video on the fly?

If I watch an HD (10GB+) m4v or mp4 in iTunes, or say an mkv (even as big as 30GB) in vlc my CPU on my Mac mini i7 2.6GHz quad (or 2.0GHz quad) only uses 10-15% of the CPU at worst and the fan sits at 1800rpm.

If you are coding on the fly you may be using 100% CPU. If that is the case you need to factor in that you are not actually just 'watching' a video, you are also transcoding video, which is a considerable task.

The fan should not rev up at all in watching a video? (from my experience with 3 Mac minis)
b0bb

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things that spins up the fan on my Mini
1)Importing a 24MP Camera RAW or 1600dpi scanner RAW into Photoshop
2)XBMC Live TV @1080i (The deinterlacer on XBMC is software)
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan noise with 2012 mac mini ? Reply with quote

opinio wrote:
macfandave wrote:

If I watch an HD (10GB+) m4v or mp4 in iTunes, or say an mkv (even as big as 30GB) in vlc my CPU on my Mac mini i7 2.6GHz quad (or 2.0GHz quad) only uses 10-15% of the CPU at worst and the fan sits at 1800rpm.

If you are coding on the fly you may be using 100% CPU. If that is the case you need to factor in that you are not actually just 'watching' a video, you are also transcoding video, which is a considerable task.

The fan should not rev up at all in watching a video? (from my experience with 3 Mac minis)
Does it depend on the length of the movie and if it is a digital movie or not?I am not sure myself. thanks
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Fan noise with 2012 mac mini ? Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
.... it is a digital movie or not?...

Not sure it can ever be anything else, on a computer? Question
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan noise with 2012 mac mini ? Reply with quote

mooblie wrote:
marv777 wrote:

Why the question mark?
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Fan noise with 2012 mac mini ? Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
mooblie wrote:
marv777 wrote:

Why the question mark?

By definition, if it's on your computer, it's digital.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
opinio

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Fan noise with 2012 mac mini ? Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
opinio wrote:
macfandave wrote:

Does it depend on the length of the movie and if it is a digital movie or not?I am not sure myself. thanks

You mean high definition not digital?

Sure if you are transcoding HD on the fly while watching it it will use a lot more CPU than a low resolution movie. DVD movies are only a few gigs while Bluray or some mkvs can be 30 gigs plus. Most old avi and mpeg movies used to be only 700mb. My 2012 mini 2.6 GHz can spit out a 700 mb avi coded to m4v in less that 5 mins. While a 35Gb mkv coded to m4v can take a few hours. If you use a media player that codes on the fly, the 700mb avi is a walk in the park, while the 35gb file in Bluray is a killer to code and watch at the same time.

If you are not sure what I mean by coding on the fly, see this for example.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=149704&highlight=Transcoding
Grover Time

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always helps to have the latest version of Flash installed as well. At least when it comes to streaming video and fan noise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: