123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Announces WWDC 2013

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Apple Announces WWDC 2013 Reply with quote

Apple Announces WWDC 2013
Wednesday, April 24, 2013
Posted by: Staff

Apple today announced that it will hold its annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) on June 10th through June 14th at San Francisco's Moscone West. According to the company, developers from around the world will learn about the future of iOS and OS X at the five day event, enabling them to create incredible new apps with innovative features. WWDC will also feature more than 100 technical sessions presented by over 1,000 Apple engineers, hands-on labs to help developers integrate new technologies, as well as the popular Apple Design Awards, a showcase of the most outstanding apps available through the App Store and Mac App Store. Tickets for this year's WWDC go on sale tomorrow at 10 a.m. PDT.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1999.html
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait! Hopefully there are some nice product announcements too.
iLife's a Bitch!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to attend a conference like this or Macworld some day. I've been to a number of PC oriented computer trades shows, but never an Apple themed event.

Lion and Mountain Lion have been a pretty rough ride. iCloud, AirPlay, mirroring etc. are all great, but the experience needs polishing. Likely Apple will make these experiences better along with the introduction of new features.

Another big issue that Apple needs to address is multiple Apple IDs, multiple users, multiple user accounts. Basically the things that happen when you have an entire family using multiple Apple products. Things need to come together in this area. Right now it's a mess.

So my guess is this event is going to be more about refinement. Apple is already well ahead of the competition, but the delivery hasn't been as Apple like as things should be.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Another big issue that Apple needs to address is multiple Apple IDs, multiple users, multiple user accounts. Basically the things that happen when you have an entire family using multiple Apple products. Things need to come together in this area. Right now it's a mess.

Yeah, especially with iOS on the iPad. Google is even pushing the multi-user accounts feature hard in a TV commercial for the Nexus 10. Not that I want one, but they definitely have the lead in that area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDCED88IZP4#aid=P-t4ZhNnv_E
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

Yeah, especially with iOS on the iPad. Google is even pushing the multi-user accounts feature hard in a TV commercial for the Nexus 10. Not that I want one, but they definitely have the lead in that area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDCED88IZP4#aid=P-t4ZhNnv_E

Very good point blazer. I remember seeing the commercial and thinking it was a smart thing to advertise. It's definitely something Apple needs to bring to the table.

It's funny how we've went from not being able to run multiple apps simultaneously to now needing multiple user accounts. Tablets/iPads have certainly evolved in the past 3 years.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
It's funny how we've went from not being able to run multiple apps simultaneously to now needing multiple user accounts. Tablets/iPads have certainly evolved in the past 3 years.

It's going to be fun watching them evolve. My wife recently purchased an Asus Vivotab Smart. It's a nice tablet itself running full Windows 8, so it pretty much does it all. Well, with a more limited app selection on the Modern desktop side. I was also most surprised at its performance with the Clover Trail Atom processor. It's pretty darn snappy. I was reading that Intel will be releasing the 64-bit quad-core Bay Trial processors in the fall with even more performance and support for more system memory. That might make for an interesting tablet. Personally, I'm looking forward to owning an iPad 5 running iOS 7. I think it will be my next tablet. Even though I would like to see Apple keep the current bezel style, instead of moving towards the styling of the iPad mini.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
epic_ed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could greed get in the way of innovation though? Having the ability to have multiple user accounts on one iPad might be good for us, but it's probably a bad move for Apple. Meaning less households buy multiple iPads because they can share one device with the entire family. Just something to think about if it doesn't happen. Laughing
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epic_ed wrote:
Could greed get in the way of innovation though? Having the ability to have multiple user accounts on one iPad might be good for us, but it's probably a bad move for Apple. Meaning less households buy multiple iPads because they can share one device with the entire family. Just something to think about if it doesn't happen. Laughing

I've definitely thought about it. It may have worked well in the past for Apple, but if they don't keep up with the Windows tablets to some degree on the OS level people will eventually abandon the iPad. There is always a balancing point. I'm sure marketing already has the day picked out when it makes sense to support multiple user accounts. The software likely already exists.

Playing all your cards too early isn't in Apple's best interest either, especially when people are chopping at the bit for Apple to come out with something new every couple months.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think it's time for Apple to open up on a lot of fronts. But I don't think it's smart for them to hold back the full potential of products anymore. Just to protect their higher profit margins or to release products early (An iPad mini without a Retina display comes to mind). Apple has had the right plan all along though. You make the hardware and software. It just seems like they've got a little greedy and less open along the way. If that makes any sense. And don't take this wrong gang. They are still my favorite tech company and computer maker by far. I just feel a little frustrated with them at the moment.

P.S. Touch screen Macs! You gotta get those out there Mr. Cook. Spend 30 minutes in a Best Buy with kids and watch how they want to interact with computer screens.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:

P.S. Touch screen Macs! You gotta get those out there Mr. Cook. Spend 30 minutes in a Best Buy with kids and watch how they want to interact with computer screens.

Put 'em to work at McDonalds then Wink

I'm just setting my GF up with some visiblebody.com anatomy education software. I'm going to install a version for the Mac and a version for the iPad. It will be interesting to see which version she will interact with/use more. They look very similar, but of course one version is for a touch screen one is for a mouse and keyboard. Both versions are extremely well made, very professional programs. So it's not like I'll be comparing crap with crap. This is software the medical students etc. use.

I'll update my findings in a few weeks. I'm personally very interested to see how things work out.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breaking news... McDonalds switches all POS machines to iPads. Hard working kids everywhere rejoice! Wink

I have no experience with that software, but I'm going to say she ends up liking the iPad version for the interaction and screen clarity. Let me know how the experiment goes though.

Hope you're having a nice spring Bandito! It's been kind of a sucko one here with the weather.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: