123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2012 Mac Mini HTPC question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
parx400

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: 2012 Mac Mini HTPC question Reply with quote

I just got a mac mini to replace my old HTPC(super old computer). I got rid of cable and go the mac mini to watch xfinity.com (parents account) nbc.com etc. The mini is wired directly to my apple router. HDMI direct into my 60 inch sharp tv. I still get some skipping when playing xfintiy .com videos and NBC video full screen. Its not bad but I was hoping it would be perfect with the mac mini. I have tried other sites to play back video yet. Could this be issues with the tv or the web site itself? My TV has netflix built into it and that runs fine.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its probably more likely to be down to your internet speed not being able to stream the content quickly enough. What speed is your connection and what resolution of video were you watching ? 1080P 720P etc.

Also when your streaming from the internet it can also be slowed down by how many other people are on the same site and the sites upload speed. I prefer to always download and play back locally if I have a choice.

I'm in the UK though so I'm not familiar with xfinity.

Can you stream local content ok though your own network?

BTW how much ram do you have and are you using the mini for other things at the same time as your streaming ?

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
parx400

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 gigs of ram. Mini is not doing anything else. I have the 60 down plan but I have not tested it for actual speed.
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

parx400 wrote:
....I have the 60 down plan but I have not tested it for actual speed.

www.speedtest.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: