123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3 Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit wrote:
Why not just sell it and get a new or newer model?

Not a bad idea Bandit. I don't know how it is over in the UK, but it always amazes me how strong the market is for used Macs in our country. Even sites like Gazelle offer pretty competitive prices. I've traded up Macs and problems like this several times.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like selling stuff that I know would give the new owner problems. Also its a quick fix for me to reload the old drivers and get it working again. The iMac although its now 6 years old is still doing everything I need. I probably would have updated it a year or two ago but my faith in Apple took a severe dent with the way they handled this. So I was reluctant to buy another. I have spoken to Apple support several times about it and they just deny the problem even though their forums of full of stories of the exact same problems with the same equipment, I find it even worse that we know how to fix it by loading the 10.6.2 Kext files back in and this information is known to Apple. So why has there not been an offical fix ? I guess Apple blame ATI and ATI blame Apple. All I know is my equipment says Apple on the tin, I bought it from Apple and I get my updates from Apple so I know who I blame.

@BB Yes I will buy future equipment without a doubt, but I will wait until I really have to. Will it be Apple again, well thats another story. It probably will be, but a few times now I've got ready to hit that buy button and then changed my mind. Maybe by the time I'm ready to upgrade Windows 9 will tempt me back to the dark side. I did hold out to see how Windows 8 was received and briefly consider switching back.

Unfortunately even a dodgy Mac is still better than what others are offering. But I'm not happy spending 1500+ on a new iMac either. 500 will get me a decent PC which I can build and spec myself and swap out parts on as I need. Buying another iMac locks me in to whatever Apple decide to support or not support, to fix or not fix. I think if I went the PC route though the switch would be to Linux rather than Windows.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will see less finger pointing as Apple moves towards more vertical integration. That being said. Finger pointing and incompatibilities is way worse with PCs in fact the most industry standard PC has always been a DIY build. You buy the best supported components and hope they all continue to work well with one another.

With change there are always going to be new issues. Hopefully 10.8.3 resolves a lot of them. Lion and Mountain Lion brought big change. It's nice to see the OS maturing. ML to me was really just a Lion patch with a few new features. I can't believe we will be due for a new OS and we are only at .3 I don't know how Apple plans to fully support old OSs and new OSs all at the same time. Hopefully the answer isn't to always have to upgrade to the new OS, because with that there are always new issues and we will never get a stable OS.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out by fall 2013.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running 10.8.3 for a day now and I don't see any real difference. If anything I've noticed my system to be a little less responsive. A few times I've clicked on things which normally instantly do something but today I've started to notice some delays. I'm about to shutdown for the night but tomorrow I'll keep activity monitor open and see whats going on.

BTW will Apple even bring out a new OS this year ?

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: