123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a second monitor out of a mac mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cosy Pete

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: a second monitor out of a mac mini Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

please forgive any ignorance that follows. I am a new convert from a PC and have bought a Mac Mini 2012. I want to be able to use a monitor that I can see my music programme but run a second monitor that will allow me to display visuals from a VJ programme. Here is my journey.

I bought the mac mini and the thunderbolt to vga adapter. Generic VGA monitor - worked a treat. I then wanted to run a second generic vga monitor form the hdmi port. After a lot research I chose an adapter for 15 that one of the reviews said worked perfectly for a mac mini and VGA. Bought it form Amazon. Didn't work - no signal etc - refund. Then I thought I would buy a monitor / DVD with a HDMI cable and do hdmi to hdmi and use that as the music monitor and use the thunderbolt port for the projector and VJ programme. Bought one from Asda. Plugged in great picture etc worked a treat but got a ground hum from new HDMI monitor. More research and realised that ground hum was a nightmare. HDMI monitor back and refund.

It is doing my head in.
I will be a happier man if someone could say that they have a mac mini 2012 and they bought this HDMI VGA converter and use a generic vga monitor and it works a treat. There is only so much stuff I can return before my lick runs out.

I don't think I'm asking for much.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Cheers Pete
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need a thunderbolt dual vga desktop adapter or the hdmi trick requires you to select stretch desktop across both displays located in system pref. select display and select the option to stretch it across both displays

but remember they have to be the same resolution
Cosy Pete

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Hi Mac Man Mac Man

thanks for that. Any ideas where to buy a good one from ?

Cheers Pete
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not really you have to look online there are tones out there but depends on your budget it can range from 149.00 to 500.00 start with amazon first then best buy and then so on and so fourth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: