123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

File Extensions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: File Extensions Reply with quote

THIS HAS NOW BEEN RESOLVED.

Does anyone know a way to get Mac OS X to recognise a non standard file extension as a file extension?

I have the extension associated with a app so when clicked it does launch the correct app, but my issue is more to do with file renaming than application launching.

I often rename files to my own naming convention and normally I just press enter on the file in finder and type in the new name. Really easy and quick, no messing around selecting from menu's or deleting out parts of the name etc. Just a simple - Enter - type new name - Enter and its done.

On almost every file, pressing enter automatically highlights just the filename so I can simply over type it with the new name and press enter again to complete the rename. However on some extension OSX doesn't recognise the extension and this causes the extension to also be highlighted as if its part of the filename. Typing in the new name and pressing enter leaves the file with no extension and I then have to edit it again to add the extension back in. This process was always seamless but now I have to do a doubletake to check it every time. I'm not sure when this started to happen but I don't know how to solve it.

Its nots file associations as the correct applications do launch if I open the file. The file extension is registered with an application and I've even changed it to another to make sure its listed.

I have tried googling the file name issue but I'm going around in circles as all the answers point to application association which isn't my problem.

Thinking about it this file extension also has no quicklook associated with it, so that might be related to the issue. I'll look for a quicklook plugin now and see.

Anyone else noticed this and know of a fix ? NOW FIXED

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S

Last edited by Cypher on Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:29 am; edited 3 times in total
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well writing the above gave me the idea of the missing quicklook plugin.

I added that and it solved the problem Very Happy

I'm a happy chappy now Razz

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: