123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LaCie mini Hard Drive & Hub [Updated Pictures]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aquaman wrote:
scoop wrote:
thanks, devo. anyone else care to weigh in?

I really like my LaCie mini! You can check them out in person at the Apple Store. They are really well made.

I agree with the well made part. You have to see one in person to appreciate it. It is one nice slab of metal. Everything is metal even the top and bottom of the unit.

Side Note: You know how the LaCie mini has the little horns on the top to provide airflow between the Mac mini and the drive. I wonder how many people have tried to put a CD/DVD in that space?
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

Cut

Side Note: You know how the LaCie mini has the little horns on the top to provide airflow between the Mac mini and the drive. I wonder how many people have tried to put a CD/DVD in that space?

LOL!!!! Laughing Laughing
Frecklefacecase

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i like it, but why not a 160GB verison? well idk but when i get my mac mini ill buy a river rock Belkin USB hub there nice. i would get the other stacking USB hub by Belkin, but i just dont like the look of a mac mini thats stacked. it takes the "mini" out of Mac Mini
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frecklefacecase wrote:
yea i like it, but why not a 160GB verison? well idk but when i get my mac mini ill buy a river rock Belkin USB hub there nice. i would get the other stacking USB hub by Belkin, but i just dont like the look of a mac mini thats stacked. it takes the "mini" out of Mac Mini

Why not get the Difusi Bay mini, I know, another extra 'heightener' but from the same material as the mini and more FW/USB ports and also on the front! Actually I don't like the Belkin particularly with its' white plastic... look!
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I held out for this instead of buying the miniStack. As I understand it, the LaCie is fanless. The miniStack fan isn't loud, but it's certainly louder than the mini, itself. The price for the LaCie with a 250 drive is about the same as what I paid for the empty miniStack (including shipping to Canada), plus the Western Digital 7200 drive I put in it.

The WD may have been a mistake as well. WD drives are a lot quieter than the older models, but the seek noise is still noticable. I managed to quiet it down somewhat by enabling the Automatic Acousic Management with a piece of OS 9 software called MacAAM. (WD drives come with AAM disabled. I had to stick the drive in a G4 to run the software to enable this feature.) But even with AAM enabled, the seek noise is still annoying to someone like me who likes quiet computing. For those of you who want a quiet drive in your miniStack, I would recommend a Samsung Spinpoint. Very quiet; I have one in my Cube.
scoop

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
I wish I held out for this instead of buying the miniStack. As I understand it, the LaCie is fanless. The miniStack fan isn't loud, but it's certainly louder than the mini, itself. The price for the LaCie with a 250 drive is about the same as what I paid for the empty miniStack (including shipping to Canada), plus the Western Digital 7200 drive I put in it.

I'm on the fence between the 250GB Lacie Mini v2 and the 300GB version. It seemed like the 300GB model was the sweet spot: for $30 more ($199 vs. $229), I'd get an extra 50GB and a fan (see below). But now I'm worried about the fan being noisy. Then again, I'm just going to use it as a backup drive and hub -- I don't have a mini to sit on top of it -- so perhaps I don't need to worry about overheating and fan noise.

Any thoughts?

http://www.lacie.com/company/news/news.htm?id=10269
"The 250GB model is fanless while larger capacity models (300/400/500GB) include a thermo-regulated smart fan for maximum reliability and the quietest operation."
iPod 3G - 15GB
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoop, the fans with these devices are quiet relative to most Macs (but not the Mini, which is superquiet). If you don't have a mini, are you really better off to get a case with a 6" x 6" footprint, as opposed to one that comes with a stand for putting it on its side?
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoop wrote:

I'm on the fence between the 250GB Lacie Mini v2 and the 300GB version. It seemed like the 300GB model was the sweet spot: for $30 more ($199 vs. $229), I'd get an extra 50GB and a fan (see below). But now I'm worried about the fan being noisy. Then again, I'm just going to use it as a backup drive and hub -- I don't have a mini to sit on top of it -- so perhaps I don't need to worry about overheating and fan noise.

Any thoughts?

I would take the extra 50GB for $30. I think you're better off with the fan anyways. I have the 160 LaCie mini v1, and it gets pretty warm after running for a while. I'm sure a fan will extend the life of the drive and prevent overheating. A little fan noise wouldn't really bother me. I vote for the 300GB model.
tiiger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was just checking this out on the lacie site, and it seems that they've dropped the 400 and 500 GB versions of the drive/hub.

(they had them, didn't they?)
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiiger wrote:
was just checking this out on the lacie site, and it seems that they've dropped the 400 and 500 GB versions of the drive/hub.

(they had them, didn't they?)

Yes, they were going to have 400 and 500GB models. I was just looking at them the other week. I could be wrong, but it also looks like they pushed back the ship date from April to May and June. The 250GB model now says June and the 300GB model says May.
castufari

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish they sold these driveless, I have enough drives all i want is a nice enclosure.
Dan Harkless

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 500GB model is still there (or is back?):
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10727

The ship date for it is "mid April".

There's a new thread and review of the 250GB model here:
http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5040

I am itching to buy the 500GB model, but as I posted on that thread, I really want to know whether it's going to be louder or quieter than the miniStack v2 in the same capacity (probably with a Seagate ST3500641A installed in the miniStack).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: