123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can someone give me advice on an '09 mini and HDMI?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
justmeee
Junior Member
Junior Member


Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Can someone give me advice on an '09 mini and HDMI? Reply with quote

I have an early '09 mini and at the moment it's hooked up using a mini DVI to HDMI cable and digital out to TOSLINK. Has anyone here successfully combined the two using adaptors or a converter so that both the 1080p and 5.1 will come through the HDMI cable alone?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RickB
Member
Member


Joined: 16 Oct 2006
Posts: 88
Location: Vegas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe the Mini Displayport adapters that use USB for audio support 5.1 audio.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5969&seq=1&format=2

Nor does the the '09 Mac mini support audio out through Mini Displayport using a simple Mini Displayport to HDMI cable.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4241

So, you'll need to continue using that Toslink cable if you want 5.1 audio. You can use that USB adapter if 2.0 channel audio will suffice though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
justmeee
Junior Member
Junior Member


Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickB wrote:
I don't believe the Mini Displayport adapters that use USB for audio support 5.1 audio.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5969&seq=1&format=2

Nor does the the '09 Mac mini support audio out through Mini Displayport using a simple Mini Displayport to HDMI cable.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4241

So, you'll need to continue using that Toslink cable if you want 5.1 audio. You can use that USB adapter if 2.0 channel audio will suffice though.


I was actually thinking if something like this

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011405&p_id=5369&seq=1&format=2

would work or if anyone here has tried it. I talked briefly online to someone from Monoprice and they said it "probably would work but there might be some quality loss". He basically didn't know. I would think that a small number of people who have earlier mini's have tried or at least thought of this and could say yes or no.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 09 Nov 2008
Posts: 3240
Location: Seattle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might have to dig around, but I think Philip found something that combines the DVI and TOSLink into an HDMI port.

SC
_________________
Grumpy old man of computing.

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Huff
Member
Member


Joined: 01 Jan 2009
Posts: 149

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justmeee wrote:
I would think that a small number of people who have earlier mini's have tried or at least thought of this and could say yes or no.

It works. I used one for a while before getting a 2011 Mac mini. I can also say that it didn't seem to negatively affect video quality. The overall picture looked about the same to me. I must admit that my TV is on the smaller size at 42 inches though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 19 Jun 2006
Posts: 4577
Location: Howell NJ USA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it has been a while since I had a 2009 mini. there used to be a hi end item from gefen.



http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=3570

costly it will work up to 1900 by 1200



Features:

Allows you to connect computers with DVI output and SPDIF to an HDMI display
Encodes digital audio onto the video signal for HDMI™ video and audio
Supports computer resolutions up to 1920x1200 at 60Hz
Supports HDTV resolutions
Supports resolutions up to 1080p, 2K, and 1920 x 1200
HDMI 1.2 compliant
HDCP pass-through
Specifications:

Maximum Pixel Clock: 165 MHz (HDMI and DVI)
HDMI Output Connector: (1) Type A 19 pin female
DVI Input Connector: (1) DVI-I 29 pin female
Audio Input Connector: (1) Coaxial (S/PDIF)
Power Supply: 5V DC
Power Consumption: 5 Watts (max)
Dimensions: 3.2" D x 3.7" W x 1" H
Shipping Weight: 4 lbs


the monoprice may work okay.


the gefen will work ,

but for 300 I would sell the 2009 and buy a 2012 when all was said and done you may be out the same 300 with a much better machine.
_________________
2010 Mm 2.4 C2D oem 320gb hdd 8gb ram
2012Mm base 2.5 with 16gb ram diy fusion drive
2012Mm quad with 8gb ram oem 1tb hdd

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
justmeee
Junior Member
Junior Member


Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
it has been a while since I had a 2009 mini. there used to be a hi end item from gefen.



http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=3570

costly it will work up to 1900 by 1200



Features:

Allows you to connect computers with DVI output and SPDIF to an HDMI display
Encodes digital audio onto the video signal for HDMI™ video and audio
Supports computer resolutions up to 1920x1200 at 60Hz
Supports HDTV resolutions
Supports resolutions up to 1080p, 2K, and 1920 x 1200
HDMI 1.2 compliant
HDCP pass-through
Specifications:

Maximum Pixel Clock: 165 MHz (HDMI and DVI)
HDMI Output Connector: (1) Type A 19 pin female
DVI Input Connector: (1) DVI-I 29 pin female
Audio Input Connector: (1) Coaxial (S/PDIF)
Power Supply: 5V DC
Power Consumption: 5 Watts (max)
Dimensions: 3.2" D x 3.7" W x 1" H
Shipping Weight: 4 lbs


the monoprice may work okay.


the gefen will work ,

but for 300 I would sell the 2009 and buy a 2012 when all was said and done you may be out the same 300 with a much better machine.


Amazon has that adaptor for $217, but you're right. I would just get a new Mini at that point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 29 Mar 2009
Posts: 936

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used this from Monoprice for years on my 2009 and later 2010 Mini. It includes the optical port for 5.1 that the previous linked Monoprice item lacked: ~$34

I had no issues with it.
_________________
2.3 GHz i7 Mini (stock)
2.6 GHz i7 Mini, Samsung 830 & Hitachi
15" 2.3 GHz i7 MBP, Samsung 840 & WD Black
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
justmeee
Junior Member
Junior Member


Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ez061111 wrote:
I used this from Monoprice for years on my 2009 and later 2010 Mini. It includes the optical port for 5.1 that the previous linked Monoprice item lacked: ~$34

I had no issues with it.


That looks exactly like what I'm looking for. I wonder why monoprice didn't make me aware of it the two different times when I chatted with them.

Thanks for the link.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 29 Mar 2009
Posts: 936

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justmeee wrote:
ez061111 wrote:
I used this from Monoprice for years on my 2009 and later 2010 Mini. It includes the optical port for 5.1 that the previous linked Monoprice item lacked: ~$34

I had no issues with it.


That looks exactly like what I'm looking for. I wonder why monoprice didn't make me aware of it the two different times when I chatted with them.

Thanks for the link.


I kept looking at the original link wondering how it was different than mine and finally realized what it was. I always used the optical, but I think I always thought the USB would also supply 5.1. Hope it works out for you.
_________________
2.3 GHz i7 Mini (stock)
2.6 GHz i7 Mini, Samsung 830 & Hitachi
15" 2.3 GHz i7 MBP, Samsung 840 & WD Black
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
justmeee
Junior Member
Junior Member


Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ez061111 wrote:
justmeee wrote:
ez061111 wrote:
I used this from Monoprice for years on my 2009 and later 2010 Mini. It includes the optical port for 5.1 that the previous linked Monoprice item lacked: ~$34

I had no issues with it.


That looks exactly like what I'm looking for. I wonder why monoprice didn't make me aware of it the two different times when I chatted with them.

Thanks for the link.


I kept looking at the original link wondering how it was different than mine and finally realized what it was. I always used the optical, but I think I always thought the USB would also supply 5.1. Hope it works out for you.


From what I can tell, the only thing different is the link you provided gets it's power from the usb cable as opposed to plugging it in to AC. But other than that, it does the exact same thing And without having to introduce a mini DVI to DVI adaptor. From the description of it on Monoprice, they had non HDMI macs in mind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 29 Mar 2009
Posts: 936

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justmeee wrote:
[From what I can tell, the only thing different is the link you provided gets it's power from the usb cable as opposed to plugging it in to AC. But other than that, it does the exact same thing And without having to introduce a mini DVI to DVI adaptor. From the description of it on Monoprice, they had non HDMI macs in mind.


Ah yes, it's all coming back to me now that you've refreshed my memory.
_________________
2.3 GHz i7 Mini (stock)
2.6 GHz i7 Mini, Samsung 830 & Hitachi
15" 2.3 GHz i7 MBP, Samsung 840 & WD Black
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



      

Shop:  Apple Store  |  Refurbished Macs  |  Refurbished iPads  |  MacConnection  |  Mac Mini Vault  |  Other World Computing

MK 1 Studio Mac mini Racks  |  Crucial Mac Memory  |  Top Free Mac Apps  |  Top Paid Mac Apps



123Macmini.com is an independent publication and has not been authorized, sponsored, or approved by Apple Computer, Inc.
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owners.
Copyright © 2011 123Macmini.com. All Rights Reserved.