123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple TV + NAS?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Apple TV + NAS? Reply with quote

Anyone here using their Apple TV with a NAS? I was thinking of re-working my HTPC and using an Apple TV with a NAS for additional storage. Can it be done? Can the AppleTV play iTunes files from a NAS?

Any insight would be outta sight. . .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an Apple TV, but I'm betting that all roads lead through a powered computer running iTunes. Therefore, as long as you're pointing iTunes to the NAS or using aliases, you should be fine. I don't even think you would be able to get a NAS with a built-in iTunes server working.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I don't have an Apple TV, but I'm betting that all roads lead through a powered computer running iTunes.

Understood.
devo wrote:
Therefore, as long as you're pointing iTunes to the NAS or using aliases, you should be fine.

Understood.
devo wrote:
I don't even think you would be able to get a NAS with a built-in iTunes server working.

Huh? You lost me on that one! Wink

So you can't have your Apple TV "find" media on your network? It only looks for iTunes libraries?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
Huh? You lost me on that one! Wink

I'm talking about a NAS like this or this. They feature a built-in/embedded iTunes server.
usarcher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been trying to find a non-hacking solution to this with no luck so far. I wish Apple would allow it to by default connect to a NAS or even just give us access to the usb port for expansion.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usarcher wrote:
I wish Apple would allow it to by default connect to a NAS or even just give us access to the usb port for expansion.

Amen brother! I'm already playing the toggle content game. I guess that I could always upgrade the internal hard drive, but it's ridiculous there isn't an external solution available.
iLife's a Bitch!
usarcher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
it's ridiculous there isn't an external solution available.

There are just not Apple supported Wink
stupkid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Perhaps with Linux? Reply with quote

I think you would have to get a Linux box with the Darwin Streaming Server on it.

Here is a how to of doing this with MythTV for Mobile Devices:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Stream_mythtv_recordings_to_mobile_devices

I have the Darwin Streaming Server setup on one of my Myth boxes streaming audio to iTunes on my mini. I haven't tried setting up video streaming yet since MythFrontend handles video streaming out of the box.
kaidomac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Perhaps with Linux? Reply with quote

stupkid wrote:
I think you would have to get a Linux box with the Darwin Streaming Server on it.

Here is a how to of doing this with MythTV for Mobile Devices:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Stream_mythtv_recordings_to_mobile_devices

I have the Darwin Streaming Server setup on one of my Myth boxes streaming audio to iTunes on my mini. I haven't tried setting up video streaming yet since MythFrontend handles video streaming out of the box.

Drobo just opened up their platform for plugins (a nice little robot NAS)...it would be super-awesome to have a simple plugin to download to enable streaming from the NAS to the AppleTV!
Din

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking to try this in the near future as well. I do have the fallback, however, of using the DLNA capabilities of my PS3 is I can't get the aTV to do what I need with a NAS.

If the aTV gets significant market penetration, perhaps we may see the NAS mfrs beef up their offering to act like a system running iTunes so this becomes easier.

Din
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

o.k. so not a NAS but, with ATV Flash, I can use an external drive. That will work too! Yippeee! I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it. . . Wink
gconrads

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: It has been a while... Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I don't have an Apple TV, but I'm betting that all roads lead through a powered computer running iTunes. Therefore, as long as you're pointing iTunes to the NAS or using aliases, you should be fine. I don't even think you would be able to get a NAS with a built-in iTunes server working.

This thread might be dead, and over, but I saw this and it made me think of your post.

http://www.buystor.com/QNAP-BrandStore/TS-109-Pro-II-Diskless-System-All-in-one-NAS-Server

scroll down it says it supports iTunes server.
nlrela

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: It has been a while... Reply with quote

Quote:
scroll down it says it supports iTunes server.

Hhhmm, but that doesn't help as the Apple TV can't communicate with an iTunes-Server ..... I do have Firefly on my Thecus NAS running. All PC's with iTunes do see this NAS, only the Apple TV doesn't.
No change to give in the ID the Apple TV provides you with on the NAS.
LaserCobra

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't concider Boxee a hack so I'll suggest that. Just need a 256MB thumb drive or larger. Got the ATV playing media from my DNS-323 and any other network media for that matter. Now I can also watch Hulu and other major broadcaster's streaming platform.
mebeljohn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using a Buffalo LinkStation Live NAS device connected to an Airport Extreme with Gigabit Ethernet. I just moved my iTunes library on the device and began buffer streamed movies from time to time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: