123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have You Heard Of These?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Have You Heard Of These? Reply with quote

Have you heard of the Xi3 computers?

http://www.xi3.com/

The reason I was attracted to the Mac Mini in the first place was the small size. It was a good computer with a good level of performance. I've hoped that other manufacturers would create something similar. Acer and others have made small form factor machines but they only had netbook level components. A few months ago I learned of a company in Europe that made small machines but they weren't sold in the USA.

This Xi3 company is a US entity and the machines are made here. They have custom mother boards that are divided into sections so that different components can be upgraded separately without needing to replace the entire board. They can be configured in many ways with many custom options. To see how it works look at their Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/xi3corp .

The Xi3 web site isn't as user friendly when it comes to creating your own machine as the Apple or HP sites. Calling the company to place an order would probably be easier.

I contacted them because I didn't see any WiFi or Bluetooth options. They said that because much of their sales are with government entities they don't add wireless connectivity. They do however have internal USB connectors for aftermarket dongles for wireless connections.

What do you think? Is this company a real contender for competing with the Mac Mini? Their machines certainly have great features and look really cool with many color options.

Smallwheels

Last edited by Smallwheels on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the Youtube channel link in the post and it leads to a 404 page. Yet when I go to that link in a browser it works. You can get there easily by typing the link.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly looks interesting.

I'd like to see an Intel CPU and a regular HDD option.

SC

ps - You get a 404 error because you included the period in the URL. If you leave it off, or move it a space, it should work.

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Brendan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Have You Heard Of These? Reply with quote

Smallwheels wrote:

I contacted them because I didn't see any WiFi or Bluetooth options. They said that because much of their sales are with government entities they don't add wireless connectivity. They do however have internal USB connectors for aftermarket dongles for wireless connections.

That's a load. Do they not understand what "modular" really means. I realize it isn't a big deal to add a usb stick to it, but c'mon.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: MM 2012 Reply with quote

Smallwheels wrote:
I tried the Youtube channel link in the post and it leads to a 404 page. Yet when I go to that link in a browser it works. You can get there easily by typing the link.
Find out before you invest any type of money in this what kind of capital this company has backing up their company and how good is their quality control and customer service department?That is what i would inquire about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: