123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Favorite athletic shoes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Favorite athletic shoes? Reply with quote

I just got back into running a bit and have fallen in love with Brooks running shoes. I just bought a pair of their Adrenaline GTS 13's and they feel awesome. Upgraded from the Ghost 4 model. I mean, they are all a little on the expensive side, but well worth it. Kind of like stuff from Apple. Do you guys have a favorite brand for any particular activities? I would be especially interested in hearing from those across the pond.
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local running shop we work with for one of our programs always says it's the fit that matters most, more then the brand. We had vouchers for New Balance shoes, he wouldn't take them but he'd match the same value but said he can't/won't force anyone into one brand. I respect him for his thoughts and that he matched the voucher amounts.

As for me, I had a partial scholarship from Bill Bowerman when I went to college but even with my school partially paid for by Nike money I prefer New Balance.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y-Guy wrote:
As for me, I had a partial scholarship from Bill Bowerman when I went to college but even with my school partially paid for by Nike money I prefer New Balance.

Best track coach ever! That must have been some experience. What event did you run?
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Balance makes nice running shoes. I like Asics and Saucony as well.

I would be interested in hearing more about your running at Oregon Y-Guy. Were you around when Steve Prefontaine ran?
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I was a runner, bikes yes, running no. Bill and his wife Barbara have been generous donors to the University of Oregon and provided a lot of funds for scholarships among other things. I was lucky enough to receive one of those when the U of O asked me to come back and work on my Masters after graduation. It was an honor to meet them and thank them for their support, the man was truly a legend and an innovator.

Having grown up in Eugene I had the opportunity to see many track meets, but Prefontaine was before what the buzz was all about. Thankfully my uncle was into Duck sports, my Dad never was.

I always feel guilty when I don't buy Nike's but they just never seem to fit my foot.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's still a nice story. I don't follow track and field, but knew of them from the movie Without Limits. It's a good movie if you haven't seen it already.

I also have a hard time finding Nike running shoes that fit me right. They seem to run smaller in size and in the toe box. It seems ever harder for me because I'm somewhere between a size 13 and 14 shoe. The Air Pegasus+ 29 was about the best fitting of the last bunch I tried out. I ended up going with the new Adrenaline from Brooks though. They have way more support and a wider toe box. Matched them up with a couple new socks from Feetures and my feet and legs are feeling great. Not that I'm going that far yet, but I do seem to be improving every week without any pain or discomfort.
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anytime I try to jog for any distance my knees kill me. Talked to my Doc, resident smart ass, and he just said stop jogging. I'd imagine that finding a good shoe in your size can be a challenge.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate when you go to the doctor and they tell you stuff like that.

I really am surprised that my knees and legs are holding up this well. I'm on them all the time at work and they can get hurting. I think that's one of the reasons why I started running again. I'm hoping to strengthen them and my ticker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: