123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When Will My Mac Book Die?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: When Will My Mac Book Die? Reply with quote

I've got a 2008 Mac Book. It runs Leopard using the 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo with 2 GB of RAM. It's not as fast as when it was new probably because the 160 GB drive only has 67.25 GB free.

Lately Firefox is just getting really slow. Emptying the cache helps a little. Turning off the computer and restarting it helps too. When I had XP I had to restart it daily to speed up the operation along with regularly defragmenting it. The Mac Book isn't anywhere near that level of frustration but it is becoming noticeable.

Opera doesn't work for 10.5.8 well so I deleted it. Chromium stopped updating for it a long time ago. Safari isn't updated anymore either. Both of those still are snappy when in use. Only Firefox has regular updates for this version of OSX. It allows the last version of Adobe's Flash player that works to remain functioning.

iTunes isn't updated much either. It has 10.6.3.

The web browsing with Firefox is really the only thing that is faltering with this machine. The graphics performance is just flat out poor compared to newer machines. When I open a Finder window it takes a while for all of the icons to change from the default setting to a thumbnail representation of what is there. It is really noticeable with picture thumbnails in my photos file.

When will the hardware of this machine die? It is kept indoors all of the time at a steady room temperature. Will the software become so out of date that it won't function on the web anymore before the hardware breaks?

The Mountain Lion OS isn't really compatible with this model because certain hardware isn't in place to take advantage of its features. Snow Leopard would work on it.

I used my Gateway XP machine until the power supply started overheating. The other components still worked fine when I retired it. That machine was used for six years and the power supply was the first hardware failure.

Do chips ever wear out?

I'm curious about the resale value over time. I know that machines like mine still sell on ebay but what is the real lifespan of a quality laptop like this? If I choose to keep it how long will I be able to get parts for it like new batteries or the Apple remote? Most of the time this machine is used as a desktop with an external monitor. That means the built in screen is off most of the time. It should last quite a few more years if I were to start using it away from home.

These are just some things I've been wondering about. I see netbooks demonstrated on Youtube that seem to have better graphics performance than my Mac Book. I don't think a 1.66 GHz Intel Ion will do video work faster than mine but I could be mistaken. Does anybody know? I haven't edited a movie on one to see the difference.

What do you think?

Smallwheels
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the early or late 2008 MacBook. If it's the aluminum body style the longevity of this machine is substantially greater than the early 2008 plastic body style.

I'll wait for your response before I reply. Not much sense in replying if the information is totally different.
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Mac Book is one of the last plastic ones. I got it one month before the aluminum models appeared.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain Lion won't work on that model, the aluminum MacBook is the oldest model supported by Mountain Lion. Lion will install, but it will run very slow. Snow Leopard is the highest I would go with that machine with 2GB RAM (4GB preferred).

Your available hard drive space isn't slowing you down. If you get under 20GB then it may be a factor.

The machine physically may last for a few more years. The battery likely needs replacement, if it hasn't been recently replaced. ~$150 they are expensive.

I would sell it now if you want resale value. Apple has already started releasing software that requires 10.7 Lion as a minimum to run ie. iPhoto 09 via App store (even though the disk version will install on 10.6.
Once iTunes requires higher than 10.6 the desirability of that machine go down substantially. I already won't run Mountain Lion as I mentioned and that is often buying criteria for a lot of people.

Basically software is starting to outpace that machine. If it was the aluminum model you would have been good for at least 2 more years. It takes 1066 MHz RAM and supports 8GB. Yours takes 667MHz it only supports 4GB and it's expensive.

Bottom line. Get rid of it while you still can unless you plan on running the same software forever.

$450 would be a fair asking price (if the battery is good).
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, it really depends on a couple of factors...

What is your usage profile? You've complained, primarily, about web browsing performance. If that is your primary usage, you are likely to get along for a couple years (or longer). Chrome should still be updated regularly and would be my suggestion.

What is your financial plan for this laptop's replacement? Do you need to maximize the money you get out of this MacBook before replacing it? If so, sell now! Can you save up the money and simply run this laptop into the ground?

How critical is this laptop? Can you go without for a while if this MacBook dies?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: