123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 GHz. Graphics Checkered Screen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 GHz. Graphics Checkered Screen Reply with quote

I just acquired a Macbook Pro 17" & it has the Graphic Checkered Pattern Issue & then Freezes Up. But it'll work for a good while. I was able to do a Clean Install of Mountain Lion & it worked most of last night. This morning I did the OSX Update & it Froze & it's never booted again. I'm convinced the update made it worse. Is Heat what causes this "Checkered Graphics" Screen Issue? It runs very hot. One other thing. If I take the Battery out & have it just plugged in, it won't turn on. It needs the Battery in before It shows any signs of Power. Thanks in advance!
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have since got it to Boot & even Install the Update. Like I said, it'll sometimes work for a while (30 Minutes or so), until I get the dreaded Checker Patterns starting to appear & then it just freezes up.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this an newer MacBook Pro or perhaps a model with the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics? The latter would probably indicate issues with the GPU and logic board. I'm pretty sure that Apple had a replacement program for them too.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually no they dont apple doesnt have a replacement plan for the core 2 duo macbook pro with the nvidia chipset and a new mainboard for that model is 700.00 i have looked everywhere for a cheaper price the only person that carries it is ifixit
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed the boat by 5 Weeks! Called Apple. They won't Repair. They said since mine is a 2007 model, it's over the 4 year warranty. But the following Apple Document says nothing about it having to be a 2008 & newer model.

Read Here:

support.apple.com/kb/TS2377?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go ahead. Call Me Crazy! I was searching around on YouTube & I saw a Video of several people wrapping their Macbook Pros in a quilt for 90 Minutes with the MBP on, disabling Sleep mode. So I tried it. Did it for 2 - 90 Minute sessions & did not seem to work. Still same issue. Now remember, I could get it to boot & run after trying like almost 8 starts pressing the Power button. So I wanted to see how long I could get it to stay on. So I installed smc fan control & set both fans to run at 3200 RPM. Turned off Sleep. Ran for 6 days straight. On the 6th day, I decided to see what would happen if I let it sleep. So for the next 4 days I slept it 2-5 times a day. Then decided to finally shut it down. I also wanted to upgrade the RAM from 2 to 4 Gigs. Well guess what? Now the MBP shuts down & starts up perfectly. No glitches. Oh the problem is still there. After watching a 2 hour Netflix Movie, I noticed it was getting very hot & it finally froze on the Checkered Graphic glitch. But as long as I don't watch a movie, I'm good. Plays YouTubes vids fine at Full Screen, btw. So, what I've learned is this is definitely a heat issue. The NVidia Chip is at fault, but in my case, it can be controlled, at least for now. I know most will say I could fry the Logic Board from what I did. I knew what could have happened. But it was a door stop & worth the risk to me. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt, Yes you are correct. That is the NVidia
Chip! Mid 2007 2.4 GHz. 17".
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: