123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

upgrading PPC Mac question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbiraman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: upgrading PPC Mac question Reply with quote

So i bought a PPC Mac about 8 months after they first came out. Its a G4, 1.25ghrz, 40 gig HD running Tiger 10.4.1 .

Over the last Mmmm 4-6 months i lost flash ability for Facebook and other places , lost support on photobucket and recently i seem to be losing support on YouTube. Thru my talking with Photobucket support team they suggested Ten-four-Fox but after reading a bit it doesn't seem to fix what i need. The Mini is still very reliable. I'm not a deep user but on it everyday on a couple of forums etc. Am i dead in the water or is there something ,(hack) that can help me?? ..
Any assistance would be appreciated.

bill
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can enable Flash in TenFourFox.

Also, unless it was a typo, you should upgrade to 10.4.11.

I wouldn't advise upgrading to 10.5. I did and it's kind of a dog. You can get more stuff, like the newer versions of VLC, but overall, I don't care for it. If I didn't need it for a certain app, I would go back to 10.4.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
mbiraman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SC; Glad to hear its possible to fix the flash issue. It was a typo. I have 10.4.11

Would you suggest putting in the 1gig of ram??

bill
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a doubt I would recommend upgrading the memory!

I found out about the Flash deal from this -
jbarley wrote:
You are aware that Flash can be enabled in TenFourFox.

TenFourFox 6 disabled plugins by default, meaning Flash is not there. This can be enabled easily by doing the following:

In the address bar type 'about:config' and press enter. Look for 'tenfourfox.plugins.enabled' and set it to 'true' this will enable Flash. I haven't had any problems so far and Flash content like YouTube seems to run faster than it did in Safari 5.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thanks for the info this is a much better alternative to hacking and re writing flash player for powerpc thanks for the heads up this will help my g4 cube
mbiraman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i made the change,( True ), in Ten Four Fox but nothing has changed. I can only assume that with Tiger there's nothing you can do. Its too bad because its a perfectly good computer.

bill
geeji

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you upgrade to Leopard ?
And use App Tamer for better reactivity ?
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most likely because leopard is expensive now that apple no longer produces it copies on ebay where going for 300.00 while on amazon they where going for 400.00 so its not that easy
geeji

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
most likely because leopard is expensive now that apple no longer produces it copies on ebay where going for 300.00 while on amazon they where going for 400.00 so its not that easy

There is a way to hack a model-specific Install DVD (which can be found for $20 on eBay) into a universal retail Install DVD.
The instructions given for Snow Leopard there would likely work for Leopard too, except that there is a chicken and egg problem : you need a universal retail Install DVD to copy system/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg !
But these more complicated instructions are likely to work for the more adventurous (but I did not test them).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: