123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Western Digital orSeagate External HD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brendan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll throw in a vote for WD
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: WD Reply with quote

Brendan wrote:
I'll throw in a vote for WD
Thanks for this confidence about WD.I presume you own one?
Brendan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many to count.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: WD Reply with quote

Brendan wrote:
Too many to count.
It sounds like you are a happy camper with these WD drives.
Brendan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been buying mybook externals and passport portables for some time now. Since you are using this as a backup, the redundancy isn't as critical since you still have the original. Your data loss exposure would be the time it takes to get a replacement drive. If you want redundancy for less money and you are running mountain lion, you could just buy two external drives; time machine will alternate backups between them.

Brendan
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Brendan!
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: HD Reply with quote

Brendan wrote:
We've been buying mybook externals and passport portables for some time now. Since you are using this as a backup, the redundancy isn't as critical since you still have the original. Your data loss exposure would be the time it takes to get a replacement drive. If you want redundancy for less money and you are running mountain lion, you could just buy two external drives; time machine will alternate backups between them.

Brendan
I am only running Lion OS. I want to backup my i tunes,writings, photos,and some videos i downloaded from you tube.That is it. thanks
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another fan of LaCie drives here. BTW.. I would take a look around for some of the 2TB Little Big Disk refurbs out there. I think you can still pick them up for about two bills.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: LaCie Reply with quote

curt wrote:
Another fan of LaCie drives here. BTW.. I would take a look around for some of the 2TB Little Big Disk refurbs out there. I think you can still pick them up for about two bills.
I have a chance to buy a used WD 500 Mac passport model for $40 which he had for one year.Would you go for this deal? Thanks
Brendan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's priced right. What size drive are you backing up?
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Drives Reply with quote

Brendan wrote:
It's priced right. What size drive are you backing up?
My mac Mini is 500 HD. Backing up i tunes 4200 songs, photos, writings, and some You Tube videos I downloaded. Thanks.
Brendan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are close to full on your HDD, you will probably need a bigger backup drive. You probably want at least 25% more dive space on the backup disk than the amount of data you have to back up.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: HD Reply with quote

Brendan wrote:
If you are close to full on your HDD, you will probably need a bigger backup drive. You probably want at least 25% more dive space on the backup disk than the amount of data you have to back up.
My space free on my HD is 447 left out of 500. thanks
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Brendan says your better looking at a bigger hard drive than you have now. I have loads of drive so I maybe go over the top but for you I'd be looking at a 750GB or more likely a 1TB drive. A 1 TB would let you back up your 500GB and still give you 500GB spare.

My only worry is only having data in one location. If the 500GB is a copy of you main drive then I'd back it up to the 1TB and then wipe the 500GB and start again. You still have your data on your main drive and a backup on the 1TB, and you would then have the two externals with 500GB free. Just don't end up with you data only stored in one location.

An alternative is to backup your 500GB to the 1TB. Then unplug and archive the 500GB. I tend to go this route and archive off old disks.

If you can get them where you are, I also use a Voyager Q interface pictured above, , they give you a lot of flexibility.

They connect up like a normal external drive, USB Firewire eStata etc but they use bare internal drives which just drop into a slot on the top of the interface, so you can quickly swap them out. I have 3 bare drives I use for back ups and I rotate them each week. I just drop in the drive, do my backup then return the drive to storage, one of which is off site in my office at work.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: HD Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
As Brendan says your better looking at a bigger hard drive than you have now. I have loads of drive so I maybe go over the top but for you I'd be looking at a 750GB or more likely a 1TB drive. A 1 TB would let you back up your 500GB and still give you 500GB spare.

My only worry is only having data in one location. If the 500GB is a copy of you main drive then I'd back it up to the 1TB and then wipe the 500GB and start again. You still have your data on your main drive and a backup on the 1TB, and you would then have the two externals with 500GB free. Just don't end up with you data only stored in one location.

An alternative is to backup your 500GB to the 1TB. Then unplug and archive the 500GB. I tend to go this route and archive off old disks.

If you can get them where you are, I also use a Voyager Q interface pictured above, , they give you a lot of flexibility.

They connect up like a normal external drive, USB Firewire eStata etc but they use bare internal drives which just drop into a slot on the top of the interface, so you can quickly swap them out. I have 3 bare drives I use for back ups and I rotate them each week. I just drop in the drive, do my backup then return the drive to storage, one of which is off site in my office at work.
I appreciate all the effort you put into this but where I live they would not even know what this is period.Maybe I should just buy this person's WD Passport HD for $40 period. he only used it he states for backing up his movies and has it for one year. he got it in the states at Best Buy. Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: