123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Western Digital orSeagate External HD
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Western Digital orSeagate External HD Reply with quote

Which is better to own the Western Digital or Seagate External HD for backing up your data? Thanks
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal preference, I only own WD drives. I've had 3 seagate drives fail on me, I will never buy another one. I know all drives can and will fail, but two of the three failed within 2 years. I just don't trust them. I now have 10 various WD drives running around my house, not a problem with one of them and I'd guess 4 of them are well over 5 years old.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a couple of WD externals fail on me and I did switch to using Seagate. However I've just replaced 4 hard drives in the last few weeks and this time I bought Western Digital. The drives they replaced were Seagate's and they were starting to fail. I've also replaced several Seagate drives that failed in my Drobo over the last few years. This last batch of drives were used in a NAS and the NAS drive was starting to give me regular reports of drive errors. All the drives were Seagate so I decided to try something different this time. I bought Western Digital Red (NAS drives for 24/7 use). I don't normally leave my Nas on though.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would encourage you to pick up your own external box and then add your own drive. Better you get a box like the the Guardian MAXimus, get two HDs and setup in a RAID format so you are double covered. This is what I do for my iTunes files.

http://www.newertech.com/products/gmax.php
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Drives Reply with quote

Y-Guy wrote:
Personal preference, I only own WD drives. I've had 3 seagate drives fail on me, I will never buy another one. I know all drives can and will fail, but two of the three failed within 2 years. I just don't trust them. I now have 10 various WD drives running around my house, not a problem with one of them and I'd guess 4 of them are well over 5 years old.
Thanks for your answers I think i might go for the WD drive as I see from your experience here about Seagate.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take Y-Guy's advice and buy a multi disk enclosure. You can then aid bare drives as you need them. I have a 4 bay NAS, a 2 Bay NAS and a 5 Bay Drobo. Thats a lot of separate enclosures if I'd gone the single external drives route.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: HD Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
I'd take Y-Guy's advice and buy a multi disk enclosure. You can then aid bare drives as you need them. I have a 4 bay NAS, a 2 Bay NAS and a 5 Bay Drobo. Thats a lot of separate enclosures if I'd gone the single external drives route.
Unfortunately I am not very adoptable to build this. I am a novice truthfully with this type of thinking on your part. You guys are more professional than myself. Marvin
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvin looking back I wish I'd got with the setup as Cypher mentions, but coming up with that kinda cash all at once doesn't work well since I have kids.

In my case now I have two external enclosures. One is a simple RAID setup by using the Guardian MAXimus which is affordable and easy to setup. In my case if I lose my iTunes folder I'd loose a huge collection of music and drum corp videos. It also allowed me to get up and running pretty cheap and get comfortable using a RAID format. Before this I'd just keep two copies of back up's. Now that I understand RAID better I wish I had a better setup like Cyper, but you need to start somewhere. I say go with a basic raid setup, because HD's fail and losing data is never fun.

Good luck no matter what direction you go.
tales
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my external drives are LaCie They work fine with Macs
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: HD Reply with quote

Y-Guy wrote:
Marvin looking back I wish I'd got with the setup as Cypher mentions, but coming up with that kinda cash all at once doesn't work well since I have kids.

In my case now I have two external enclosures. One is a simple RAID setup by using the Guardian MAXimus which is affordable and easy to setup. In my case if I lose my iTunes folder I'd loose a huge collection of music and drum corp videos. It also allowed me to get up and running pretty cheap and get comfortable using a RAID format. Before this I'd just keep two copies of back up's. Now that I understand RAID better I wish I had a better setup like Cyper, but you need to start somewhere. I say go with a basic raid setup, because HD's fail and losing data is never fun.

Good luck no matter what direction you go.
Thank You on this information. I need something easy to set up and durable also.
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tales wrote:
All my external drives are LaCie They work fine with Macs

LaCie is one of my favorites as well. I just hate the fact that Seagate bought them out. They are my least favorite manufacturer when it comes to hard drives. My track record with them hasn't been the greatest. I've had far better luck with drives from Western Digital, Hitachi and Toshiba.
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max

Last edited by Grasshopper on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
tales
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volkswagon bought Rolls Royce
G Loomis my favorite fishing rod was bought by Shimano, I hate there products, but they left G Loomis alone to build there rods there way

I think Seagate kept the designers of LaCie on to help with there storage drives, Im not sure i thought i read this not long ago.

The only problem im having is the LightScribe App is making the disc too big i can't print discs.
I dont know if this was due to Snow Leopard, but it sucks!
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tales wrote:
I think Seagate kept the designers of LaCie on to help with there storage drives, Im not sure i thought i read this not long ago.

Yeah, I think they will keep using the same designers. Which just happen to come out with one of the coolest looking drives ever at CES.

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10613

I'm more worried about the mechanisms they use on the inside. I've read that LaCie has used Seagate hard drives from time to time, but not completely. And my experience with Seagate hard drives hasn't been the greatest. I've had a couple failures like Cypher and Y-Guy. So my confidence has been shaken when it comes to their products. Which no doubt, will be used in LaCie products from here on out. I can't imagine them using hard drives from someone else.
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would buy something like the Guardian MAXimus, add your own hard drives, and have some redundancy. Putting all your eggs in one basket is risky, unless you backup to the cloud as well.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/GM3QKIT0GB/
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: HD Reply with quote

Rightondamark wrote:
I would buy something like the Guardian MAXimus, add your own hard drives, and have some redundancy. Putting all your eggs in one basket is risky, unless you backup to the cloud as well.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/GM3QKIT0GB/
From all these horror stories I am hearing now is they all have their faults. I am not handy at all meaning computer savey like you guys that is why i want a decent external hard drive for backup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: