123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drinking the Kool-Aid - First Mac w/questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluesttape

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Drinking the Kool-Aid - First Mac w/questions Reply with quote

Hi, my name is bluesttape, and I am a newb.

I have owned some version of the iPhone since the first one came out and I thought that each one was the best invention EVER... that is until my wife got me an iPad. Wow, that is some damn fine kool-aid. After a long year of debating I made the jump and ordered the new Mac Mini base model that came out today and it gets here on Friday. Needless to say, I am ecstatic. The house is laced with an Airport Extreme, two Airport Expresses and and Apple TV, so I have a feeling the Mac Mini will make itself at home. With the new territory comes some questions...

Display - I want this to be a media box for my HDTV and my desktop. They live 20 ft from each other. I would like to be able to switch between the two (desktop and/or HDPC) - Any ideas? I already have a 25ft HDMI cable.

RAM - Where is the best place to purchase RAM and am I really limited to 16GB?

Airplay - I would like to play Pandora and Spotify like programs on multiple Airplay speakers. Is there a way to do that outside of iTunes?

iPad as peripherial - I would like to use iPad or iPhone for mouse and keyboard when using as an HDPC. Is that possible?

Best way for Remote Access?

Best software for running Windows 7?

Safari - I have downloaded this in the past for PC and never fell in love... Is it the best browser out there considering I use two iDevices?

Wow. That is a lot of questions considering I don't get it for another 36 hours (but who is counting)... Obviously I am a bit of a tech geek and I can not wait to taste the sweet sweet taste of the latest Kool-Aid.

PS - Other random advice welcome.
Arrow
and Some Things Just Don't...

Hope You All
Live Long & Lucky
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here we go.

1. you can use the ipad as a mouse but not keyboard i can give you some good advice though go to amazon.com and look for a media center remote with keyboard you can find tons that work with macintosh and are wireless

2. communication you can only communicate with the apple tv as long as the apple tv is on the same network as the mini recommend a router and a long lan cable because wireless to wireless is a pain in the can.

3. running windows 7 use boot camp it's in the o's already just go into utilities and run boot camp manager and it will create a windows partition on which you can install windows but you will need lots of hard drive space 800gig to 1 tb is best because when you partition your hard drive for boot camp you need at least 120 gig's or better for windows 7 because the windows 7 updates will eat up your hard drive space

4. 16 gig's is great but can i honesty tell you something ask yourself this question will you ever use 16 gig's of ram most software on the mac side has a max ram of 8 gig's i havent seen anything that requires 16 gig's yet

last but not least.

Purchase a external cd drive because if you want to buy software that software stores like best buy and others sell that come on cd your going to need it especially if you want to install windows 7 kinda hard without a cd drive huh.
bluesttape

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Thanks for the info Reply with quote

Wow. I had no idea that loading windows would take up so much space. Hardwiring the Apple TV sounds like a great idea, especially since there is already so much wireless traffic.

Thank ya !

Hope You All
Live Long & Lucky
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need that much space for Win7. On my peecee the Win7 partiton is only 30GB.

Personally, I don't like Safari. I prefer anything else, but mostly OmniWeb.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
bluesttape

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Omniweb? I'll have to check it out.

Hope You All
Live Long & Lucky
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Drinking the Kool-Aid - First Mac w/questions Reply with quote

bluesttape wrote:
Airplay - I would like to play Pandora and Spotify like programs on multiple Airplay speakers. Is there a way to do that outside of iTunes?

Airfoil will let you pull audio from anything (including system sound) on your Mac. It's a must have if you're really into streaming audio over Airplay. It's also very well supported.

http://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing that i should also mention..

If you decide to go to windows 8 you will have to wait a little while until apple releases a update package for it
bluesttape

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for some advice to get started.

I ended up with Mobile Mouse for my peripheral device which is working fantastic as a keyboard and mouse except for when I am using AirPlay on my TV which is upstairs. I get a bit of lag on the mouse part.

Airfoil when used with Reemote put the exclamation point on why I switched to a Mac.

I think I am going for RAM on Crucial unless there are any better ideas out there.

Thanks All

Hope You All
Live Long & Lucky
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

love crucial ram good choice
bluesttape

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are going great. Ordered the 16GB from Crucial for $80. I gotta say, I get why people love their Macs. The only real issue I have is that Mail (the app) continues to ask for my password - a lot. Other than that, I'm in love.

Hope You All
Live Long & Lucky
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kinda behind the times using 10.5, but Mail shouldn't have to ask you for your email account info more than once. Sometimes if there is a issue, you would have to re-enter it, but that should be a rare occurrence.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: