123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Power off Mac Mini
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Power off Mac Mini Reply with quote

Do you ever power off your Mac Mini at all? Thanks Marv
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't(as mentioned in my Leopard thread, my mini's uptime was just under 200 days), unless I have to because of an OS update(I'm on 10.5 so that's not going to happen), or I come home and the powers out(so it was turned off for me).

I'm not too concerned about the power usage, as the G4 mini PSU is 85 watts.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Brendan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never shut down my mini or my laptops unless, as mentioned by SC, an update forces a restart.

Brendan
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: MM 2012 Reply with quote

Brendan wrote:
I never shut down my mini or my laptops unless, as mentioned by SC, an update forces a restart.

Brendan
You keep this mini on 24 hours a day 7 days a week really.This never heats up at all? Question
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My HTPC Mini stays on all the time, I do let it sleep but as soon as I press the remote its and and running. Only time it's been shut down is when we're gone on vacation or if we've lost power. Same goes for my iMac.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: MM 2012 Reply with quote

Y-Guy wrote:
My HTPC Mini stays on all the time, I do let it sleep but as soon as I press the remote its and and running. Only time it's been shut down is when we're gone on vacation or if we've lost power. Same goes for my iMac.
Here in the Philippines there are to many brownouts to have this stay on all the time. i have this connected to a AVR all the time and surge protector and shut it off twice a day.Any comments about this at all?
Mandesk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always power off after a session, even in sleep or hiber the device still uses power, even a very small amount. It also gets turned off at the wall socket.

The world only has so much resources, and as such we should conserver all we can, it may take a small amount of time to restart, well worth the saving in energy costs not only to my self but also to others.....
Brendan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: MM 2012 Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
Brendan wrote:

Brendan
You keep this mini on 24 hours a day 7 days a week really.This never heats up at all? Question

Never. Why would it heat up when not in use; it doesn't even really heat up when in use. My mini is also the family file server, iTunes server, and assorted other duties. Powering down is not really practical.

Brendan
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: MM 2012 Reply with quote

Brendan wrote:
marv777 wrote:
Brendan wrote:

Brendan

Never. Why would it heat up when not in use; it doesn't even really heat up when in use. My mini is also the family file server, iTunes server, and assorted other duties. Powering down is not really practical.

Brendan
Where I live there are to many brown outs to keep this on all day.Why is this not practical in your opinion?
Brendan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: MM 2012 Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
Brendan wrote:
marv777 wrote:
Brendan wrote:

Brendan

Brendan
Where I live there are to many brown outs to keep this on all day.Why is this not practical in your opinion?

Not practical for me. I too have many outages (one per week on the average) so I use a UPS which will shut the computer down gracefully in the event of a prolonged power outage.
zedtvl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Power off Mac Mini Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:

I do, every day...
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Power off Mac Mini Reply with quote

zedtvl wrote:
marv777 wrote:

I do, every day...
That is the sensible thing to do. You are right sir.This is absurd leaving this on all the time.
Brendan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Power off Mac Mini Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:

That is the sensible thing to do. You are right sir.This is absurd leaving this on all the time.

I take offense. You don't know what is sensible for anyone other than yourself. YOU are absurd for thinking that everyone has the exact same needs that you do concerning the use of their computers. As I stated above, I need to leave it on as it does other tasks when I am not at the keyboard.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

Here is something you can put your computer to use doing while you're not using it.

Leaving it on or off is a personal choice, it can be debated both ways.

You should condition/ regulate the power to your computer even if you think you do not have power issues. There are always power fluctuations, no matter how good or bad your power is.

I'm convinced if you condition your power you are better off leaving the computer on. 99% of the time that a component fails is during the power on cycle. For every 1000 computers that come into our service department with faulty logic boards or power supplies, perhaps 1 failed during use. The other 999 just wouldn't start up after shutdown.

It is a fact that resistance changes with temperature, therefore current flow changes with temperature. Components contract and expand with temperature change. This can lead to component failure and opens in the circuit trace.

If you've ever measured current flow during power on, there is a huge spike during the power on cycle. I could go on and on....

If you want to turn your computer off go ahead. If you want to leave it on go ahead. Either way get a good power conditioner, not just a battery backup or a surge protector.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Power off Mac Mini Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

Here is something you can put your computer to use doing while you're not using it.

Leaving it on or off is a personal choice, it can be debated both ways.

You should condition/ regulate the power to your computer even if you think you do not have power issues. There are always power fluctuations, no matter how good or bad your power is.

I'm convinced if you condition your power you are better off leaving the computer on. 99% of the time that a component fails is during the power on cycle. For every 1000 computers that come into our service department with faulty logic boards or power supplies, perhaps 1 failed during use. The other 999 just wouldn't start up after shutdown.

It is a fact that resistance changes with temperature, therefore current flow changes with temperature. Components contract and expand with temperature change. This can lead to component failure and opens in the circuit trace.

If you've ever measured current flow during power on, there is a huge spike during the power on cycle. I could go on and on....

If you want to turn your computer off go ahead. If you want to leave it on go ahead. Either way get a good power conditioner, not just a battery backup or a surge protector.
I have my MM hooked up into a AVR as there are brownouts a lot and there is no warning the power just shuts off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: