123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mythbuntu & Next-PVR on a Core Solo (upgraded to a C2D).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LinuxNewbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Mythbuntu & Next-PVR on a Core Solo (upgraded to a C2D). Reply with quote

Hello,

Does anyone on here have any experiences with installing and using Mythbuntu & Next-PVR on a Core Solo 1.5 Mac Mini with Intel GMA 950 GPU please?

Would really like to get a very little used Mac Mini up and running as a HTPC however am having issues with very jerky video playback under both Mythbuntu and Next-PVR.

I've upgraded the factory installed RAM from 512MB to 4GB further to having upgraded the BIOS/EFI to support more than 2GB, installed a 128GB SSD and have installed GMABooster so that the mobile GPU is running at 400MHz however as for improvements where jerky video playback is concerned I'm afraid to say that I've not really noticed a difference unfortunately. This is a shame as I'm otherwise pleased with the upgrades.

Still am hopeful that Mythbuntu and Next-PVR (failing that one of the installations only) can run very successfully on a former Core Solo 1.5 Mac Mini and would appreciate any help / suggestions on how to go about configuring accordingly.

Finally I'm running Mythbuntu and Next-PVR (not concurrently) under Parallels 7 Virtual Machines.

At a guess the GPU performance is heavily dependant on the video drivers provided through Parallels 7. How much this can be 'tweeked' is uncertain. Would give VMWare Fusion 5 / Parallels 8 a try (providing am confident that this will be a viable upgrade/expense) but am not sure whether I'm trying to get results that are unobtainable on a GMA 950 GPU. Sincerely hope that I'm wrong there though and that excellent results can be obtained.

Thank you.

PS OXS installed is v.10.6.8 and CPU is a 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo. Mythbuntu version is v.12.04.1. Win installation is Win7 Ultimate. PVR tuner is a Hauppauge PVR-900 / Win-TV Stick (tried both). Uncertain what Codecs are being used o Win7 VM however can check this.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there!

I haven't touched Mythbuntu or Next-PVR.

However I do have a similar mini. I haven't done the firmware hack for more memory, but I did upgrade the Core Duo 1.66 GHz to a Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz.

You shouldn't have to use the GMABooster, as you mini should already be running the GPU at 400 MHz.

To be honest, I think the CPU is what is your issue(not that the Intel GMA950 isn't that great). If you can, and I believe prices have come down substantially, upgrade from the CPU you have to a T7400 or a T7600.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: