123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MacMini G4 (7447a) after firmware update gone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacAnanda

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: MacMini G4 (7447a) after firmware update gone Reply with quote

Could anybody figure this:

I bought an old MacMini G4 / 1,25 GHz (model A1103) with Tiger (10.4.) preinstalled and wanted to update the OS to Leopard ( 10.5 ). For this I used a DVD from the Apple Store and at the beginning it asked for a firmware update, which I allowed.
After this process was finished the machine would not start up again.
I rebooted it from the original CD and used disk utility to repair the hard drive - of no avail.

How do I repair the firmware or restore it to its original setting?

Thanks a lot for Your kind attention Smile
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you done a PRAM reset?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
MacAnanda

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: PRAM reset Reply with quote

Yes, I tried everything, but it just would not even see the harddrive, for example when I try to reformat it... .
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it does start up and you can get it to boot from the OS disc, but can't get any farther, right?

SC

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
MacAnanda

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: startup from CD works ok Reply with quote

yes - it starts up from the system DVD and also from a firewire hard drive on which I have system 10.4 - but the internal HD can't be repaired or formated...
Would You have any idea of how to repair/restore the firmware - since I tried updating it the machine gave up running properly... .

Thanks a lot for Your attention!
( I am located in Germany, that's why I am answering delayed due to the time difference... )
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it boots from the external drive, then I would venture to guess that the internal drive has died. This just happened very recently with my G4 mini.

SC

Make sure it has pins!
MacAnanda

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... maybe I could achieve something by using disk warrior - will keep You posted...

Thanks a lot for Your kind attention!
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to offer something resembling help!

The G4 mini is really a pain with the way it's engineered and all the stuff you have to do to get the drive out.

SC

Make sure it has pins!
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if he updated the firmware and he updated the firmware on the drive controller by accident the hard drive firmware is now trashed and the drive is dead this was a major issue with g4 mini's i killed 4 myself before figuring out that you want to upgrade the firmware on a fresh install of 10.5
MacAnanda

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for YOur attention!

... does that mean that there is really no way out - maybe a trick ( via terminal or so ) of how to erase the firmware on the drive controller and put the proper firmware in?
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you cant the drive itself has to reflashed to stock firmware the firmware is on the drive itself.

but the other issue is trying to find a replacement hard drive because the drive is not sata laptop hard drive but mini ide which is no longer being made so you have to find a used hard drive!!!

And the bad news if it's a seagate it would explain the reason why the hard drive failed to flash properly and the drive controller is having problems.

but in all do honesty even if you install mac os x 10.5 on this machine you have another issue the last powerpc version of flash player is 10.1 where the intel version goes to 10.2 and higher

so accessing the internet isn't going to go well on that machine you might want to think about purchasing a older thicker intel mini for your needs and reinstall 10.5 on that or even 10.6
MacAnanda

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Thanks a lot @>-->--- Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for Your expert advise -
I was hoping that anyone would know a trick - maybe via terminal - to reflash the HD - but apparently that does not work so easily... .

We use(d) the machine to automatically play music in our dairy at certain times during milking and on top of it used it once in a while for internet, etc..

But the suggestion to get a more advanced Mini sounds like the best solution, considering that time is also a valuable asset ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: