123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any mini 2012 owners using Logic Studio?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
midinotes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Any mini 2012 owners using Logic Studio? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Really pleased to have found this forum. I am contemplating between the new 2012 iMac or saving about 1500 and getting a top end Mac Mini i7 with 16GB and Fusion drive. Although the iMac is an option, I would need to get a thunderbolt>firewire adaptor for my music gear (cannot believe they dropped firewire on the iMacs). I am somewhat nervous about the complete lack of serviceability on the new iMacs, hence I would need to add Apple Care if I went that direction.

Anyway, looking at benchmarks the new mac mini top i7 machines are amazing, even when compared to a top end iMac. Coming from a 2009 duo-core 3.06GHz iMac with 4GB RAM and a Macbook Air 1.6GHz (2010) duo core, I expect to be impressed with the performance of the new minis.

I have a reasonable decent 24" monitor, but I'd need to get a keyboard and mouse. Still, at this stage apart from the gorgeous 27" display and the ability to extend above 16GB RAM, plus fractional performance increase, its hard to justify the 250% cost of the iMac over the mac mini.

Just wondering if anyone here is a musician or a logic studio user and has the top end mac mini 2012? If so how does it perform? Does it get very hot i.e. fans spinning loudly? More importantly how the fusion drive cope with music, I assume it uses a 2.5" 5400 rpm harddrive alongside the SSD. I guess though I could get a USB3 external drive with the savings!

Thanks in anticipation

Simon
RickB

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a new Mac mini for Logic Studio based on the same conclusions. I've used older Mac minis with Logic Express and haven't had any issues. I also agree that it's nice still having Firewire around. I plan on using my M-Audio Firewire Solo again with this model. I was really just waiting for Apple to fix some of the reported video issues with the 2012 Mac mini. BTW: I bought the Core i7 model with a Fusion Drive. I'm going to upgrade the RAM on my own to 16GB. You really want more RAM with Logic Studio/Express once you start using and playing over multiple tracks.
midinotes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Rick. I am interested in hearing how you get on with your new mini. Especially if are using the built in drive for audio. Great to see the HDMI flicker issue has been resolved. I am very interested in hearing how hot the mini runs when loaded. I would think 16gb is sufficient for logic, even with the massive abbey rd drum set plug in.

Regards
Simon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: