123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Extended Warranty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should I extend the Mac Mini warranty
Yes or No
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
Worth it or not
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 2

marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Mac Extended Warranty Reply with quote

Do you think extending the Mac warranty is worthwhile or not for the Mac Mini? Thanks. Mine is expiring on Monday.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't set your poll up very well. The first option is to say YES and NO and the second is to say WORTH IT or NOT, which is YES and NO again.

I've had it on 3 of my mac's (iMac, Macbook and Maacbook Pro) but never used on on two of them. The Macbook case had problems and was replaced three times under warranty so for that one it was definitely worth it. Although the repair would probably have been covered anyway as it was a known defect I maybe would have had to fight to get it fix had I not had Apple Care. With my Mac Mini though I didn't bother to cover it.

I got the first three very cheap which is why I got them, with the Mac Mini it would have been full price so I didn't. Most equipment failures follow a bath tub curve, lots of failures in the early days followed by a long period with hardly any failures. Then towards the equipments end of life the failure rate will again increase. Giving the U shape of the bath tube curve. Your now out of that early phase of high failure rate and are now in the period of very few failures the bottom of the U. In two years or more when your warranty has run out thats when the failures will start to increase again. So statistically your more likely to be just wasting your money. Peace of mind though is a wonderful thing so knowing your covered might suit you. I have 3 mac's so I made the decision it wouldn't be the end of the world if the mini had failed so I skipped the Applecare on this one.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Warranty Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
You haven't set your poll up very well. The first option is to say YES and NO and the second is to say WORTH IT or NOT, which is YES and NO again.

I've had it on 3 of my mac's (iMac, Macbook and Maacbook Pro) but never used on on two of them. The Macbook case had problems and was replaced three times under warranty so for that one it was definitely worth it. Although the repair would probably have been covered anyway as it was a known defect I maybe would have had to fight to get it fix had I not had Apple Care. With my Mac Mini though I didn't bother to cover it.

I got the first three very cheap which is why I got them, with the Mac Mini it would have been full price so I didn't. Most equipment failures follow a bath tub curve, lots of failures in the early days followed by a long period with hardly any failures. Then towards the equipments end of life the failure rate will again increase. Giving the U shape of the bath tube curve. Your now out of that early phase of high failure rate and are now in the period of very few failures the bottom of the U. In two years or more when your warranty has run out thats when the failures will start to increase again. So statistically your more likely to be just wasting your money. Peace of mind though is a wonderful thing so knowing your covered might suit you. I have 3 mac's so I made the decision it wouldn't be the end of the world if the mini had failed so I skipped the Applecare on this one.
Sorry about the poll. First time doing this. It would cost me $150 for 2 years to get this. Thanks
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a desktop is gonna fail, I think they fail within a short timeframe. Generally within a year. Therefore I would pass on the extended warranty.

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
If a desktop is gonna fail, I think they fail within a short timeframe. Generally within a year. Therefore I would pass on the extended warranty.
Thanks I have mine 1 year tomorrow. Never had any problems.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: warranty Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:

I found out the reason they push these warranties are these salespeople work on a commission basis.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: warranty Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
I found out the reason they push these warranties are these salespeople work on a commission basis.

Marv, I know your comment wasn't intended to offend anyone, but it offended me. I'm a commission based employee working in Apple sales.

How would you feel if your client, mother, brother etc. purchased a computer and it failed and you suggested that they pass on the AppleCare. Now multiply that by about 750-1,000. That's how many people purchase computers from me every year. I want to see all my clients covered. It's sucks when my clients have issues and have to pay big bucks out of pocket. I've seen people in our service department in tears 13 months after they purchased a computer, only to find they are out $1000 for a new logic board.

Some Mac minis can cost up to $2000, others as little as $600. Some people use AppleCare for the telephone support on a regular basis. $59 per incident without the AppleCare. It also provides onsite in certain circumstances. We give our customers an additional $100 in training and we waive the $25 service fee if they get RAM installed. We also enrol our customers in our loaner program. If their computer is in service we give them a loaner.

Notice I didn't mention anything about making a commission. As far as that goes, I feel it's in my best interest, to look out for my clients best interest. If people choose to decline AppleCare, I respect their choice. If I don't suggest or at least mention AppleCare and something were to happen to my client's computer, they'd actually end up being pretty angry for not having let them know about their options. Pushing things on people is foolish, inconsiderate and it's really not in anyones best interest.

You may want to reconsider your comment. In fact I was going to suggest that you may want to consider AppleCare given that you live in the Philippines. You've mentioned that shipping and parts can get expensive. I have nothing to gain from your purchase.

Last edited by Bandit Bill on Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost all extended warranties are commission based, if they were not there wouldn't be much incentive to sell them. Now that said I don't know how much the kick back or spiff is paid out, and I've yet to find any AppleCare plans that are negotiable. Most other extended warranties on big ticket items are junk, with very little assurance since they are usually from 3rd party vendors. Many have closed up shop too. At least the AppleCare is from Apple itself. I do wish Apple just stood behind their products from the start but the day of a standard 3 year warranty in the computer industry is gone.

I opted to buy one when I bought my refurb iMac in 2007 - call it peace of mind. Thankfully I've never needed it. No regrets about buying it though.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: warranty Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
marv777 wrote:

Marv, I know your comment wasn't intended to offend anyone, but it offended me. I'm a commission based employee working in Apple sales.

How would you feel if your client, mother, brother etc. purchased a computer and it failed and you suggested that they pass on the AppleCare. Now multiply that by about 750-1,000. That's how many people purchase computers from me every year. I want to see all my clients covered. It's sucks when my clients have issues and have to pay big bucks out of pocket. I've seen people in our service department in tears 13 months after they purchased a computer, only to find they are out $1000 for a new logic board.

Some Mac minis can cost up to $2000, others as little as $600. Some people use AppleCare for the telephone support on a regular basis. $59 per incident without the AppleCare. It also provides onsite in certain circumstances. We give our customers an additional $100 in training and we wave the $25 service fee if they get RAM installed. We also enrol our customers in our loaner program. If their computer is in service we give them a loaner.

Notice I didn't mention anything about making a commission. As far as that goes, I feel it's in my best interest, to look out for my clients best interest. If people choose to decline AppleCare, I respect their choice. If I don't suggest or at least mention AppleCare and something were to happen to my client's computer, they'd actually end up being pretty angry for not having let them know about their options. Pushing things on people is foolish, inconsiderate and it's really not in anyones best interest.

You may want to reconsider your comment. In fact I was going to suggest that you may want to consider AppleCare given that you live in the Philippines. You've mentioned that shipping and parts can get expensive. I have nothing to gain from your purchase.
My comment did not mean to offend any salesman who works for Apple or any other retail outfit.Here in the Philippines the price of Apple care when you buy it is different every week. which i hate.I am sure you are a transparent and good salesperson in the store you work for as I see your comments are honest and professional.I would buy from you right away if i was living there in Canada.I trust you.Again I apologize to you what I posted here. Marvin
zedtvl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No but sometimes Lacomputer sell it for less if you are tempted...
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Apple Plan Reply with quote

zedtvl wrote:
No but sometimes Lacomputer sell it for less if you are tempted...
Never heard of this .
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LA Computer as in Los Angeles Computer CO.

http://www.lacomputercompany.com/
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Computer Reply with quote

jb wrote:
LA Computer as in Los Angeles Computer CO.

http://www.lacomputercompany.com/
Thanks for this info.What do you think of the Buffalo external hard drives?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: