123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with 2012 Mac Mini HTPC setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickcrna

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Help with 2012 Mac Mini HTPC setup Reply with quote

I am about to purchase the new 2012 Mac Mini to use as a HTPC. My main objectives are the following: 1) unsubscribe to Direct TV and use an existing antenna for OTA broadcasts, 2) access programming such as CNN, MSNBC, etc via streaming, 3) stream movies, multiple episode shows, and perhaps some torrent content, 4) transfer my itunes library on laptop to Mac Mini for listening through stereo. I already have a Roku box. This would not be used for gaming nor do I have a collection of DVDs, movies, etc that need to be stored on this device. I would like to have DVR capabilities. This setup to achieve my objectives also needs to be very user friendly for the spouse and visitors. Here are a few questions/comments...

1. Should I use HDMI from MM to my AV receiver and then another HDMI from receiver to TV? Or is there a better alternative?

2. Plan to also add a blue-ray player. I assume this would attach to receiver via HDMI.

3. Other than Plex and Perian, what other software would be necessary and/or useful to achieve my objectives?

4. Plan to use Apple wireless keyboard. I also see recommendations for Harmony remote control. Any suggestions here?

5. The mac mini will be attached to wireless router via ethernet with speeds approaching 12Mbs/sec.

Thank you in advance for your input and suggestions.
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elgato EyeTV for the off-air broadcasts and DVR of same?
http://www.elgato.com/elgato/int/mainmenu/products/tv-tuners.en.html

(I use a "EyeTV Diversity" - to record two channels at once.)
b0bb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 2012 Mac Mini HTPC setup Reply with quote

rickcrna wrote:
I am about to purchase the new 2012 Mac Mini to use as a HTPC. My main objectives are the following: 1) unsubscribe to Direct TV and use an existing antenna for OTA broadcasts, 2) access programming such as CNN, MSNBC, etc via streaming, 3) stream movies, multiple episode shows, and perhaps some torrent content, 4) transfer my itunes library on laptop to Mac Mini for listening through stereo. I already have a Roku box. This would not be used for gaming nor do I have a collection of DVDs, movies, etc that need to be stored on this device. I would like to have DVR capabilities. This setup to achieve my objectives also needs to be very user friendly for the spouse and visitors. Here are a few questions/comments...

1. Should I use HDMI from MM to my AV receiver and then another HDMI from receiver to TV? Or is there a better alternative?

2. Plan to also add a blue-ray player. I assume this would attach to receiver via HDMI.

3. Other than Plex and Perian, what other software would be necessary and/or useful to achieve my objectives?

4. Plan to use Apple wireless keyboard. I also see recommendations for Harmony remote control. Any suggestions here?

5. The mac mini will be attached to wireless router via ethernet with speeds approaching 12Mbs/sec.

Thank you in advance for your input and suggestions.

About your specific comments

1. That is correct way to attach the Mini if you want to share the receiver with other devices like the BD Player

2. Correct.

3. That should be enough to start. You might consider adding VLC as a viewer at some point. It does not have a 10ft interface like Plex.

4.Harmony is one option but you have to teach it properly. I use a Logitech DiNovo Mini, learning curve on the touch pad is only downside.

5. 12mbps is a little slow, have you looked at the Airport Express or Extreme (more expensive)

Take a look at the HDHomerun, it is a tuner connected via ethernet and works with EyeTV
http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/atsc/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: