123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Refomatting SSD after upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Refomatting SSD after upgrade Reply with quote

I just successfully completed an upgrade to my 2011 mini, adding an SSD drive with the extra cable I bought. The drive, a Corsair Force GT 240 gb, was previously in my MBP, but I removed it from there because I was actually losing 5-10% battery life relative to the mechanical HD previously in it. This is relevant to my question because the SSD has on it all the formatting for the MBP, and I want it to have the same software as the mechanical drive in the mini. My question is how to best go about this. Would you suggest:
(1) wipe the SSD with Disk Utility, reinstall Lion from scratch and then migrate apps and settings from the mini HD? or
(2) wipe the SSD with Disk Utility and clone the mini HD onto it (I have Carbon Copy Cloner)
(3) don't wipe, just clone
(4) use Carbon Copy Cloner to just clone my home folder and apps
(5) something else?

Note that when I first got the SSD, I installed Lion from scratch, migrated my MBP stuff with Migration Assistant and then updated the system, so the version of Lion on my SSD is fresh and current and there is an emergency disk on it. Option #4 looks to be the quickest way to get on the SSD what I want, but I worry about settings that might not carry over because they aren't in my home folder. Option #1 looks like the best from the perpective of having a fresh install with everything on it that I need, but is it a good idea to just wipe the whole SSD?
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case anyone goes through something like this, I ended up reformatting the drive with Disk Utility. To then do a clean install, I had to boot into the Recovery Partition because the Lion installer refused to work from a disk that already had 10.7.4 on it. Once the Recovery Partition was finished the clean install of Lion, a dialogue box came up asking me about transfer of programs and settings. I was able to select the mechanical drive already in the mini, so now I have a clean install with all my old programs and settings on the new SSD. It really speeds up the mini! Smile
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Migration Assistant Reply with quote

Hi Fox, when I bought my new mini
I used Migration Assistant to move
everything from the old mini to the
new. The original Hard Drive was used.
I latter added an SSD to the new mini
and simply Cloned everything from
the Internal HD to the new Internal
SSD using CCC. Everything went well
and its FAST as HELLLLLL!

I'm surprised you had trouble using
Migration Assistant and had to resort
to using the Recovery Partition. I'm
glad it all worked out.
Mac mini, Model 1.1, 2.33 GHz C2D Proc
20" iMac G4 PPC
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bilb, I didn't have trouble with Migration Assistant; the trouble was with the Lion installer. It refused to install onto the SSD because the disk I was operating from already had 10.7.4 on it. Once I got Lion installed with the recovery partition, the migration of the rest of the data was done by the equivalent of Migration Assistant, but as a continuation of the installation process started by Recovery Assistant. I knew I could clone the HD and get it done that way, but I wanted a clean install of the OS first.
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:07 am    Post subject: Clean Instal Reply with quote

I get it now, you wanted a clean install.
SMART!
Mac mini, Model 1.1, 2.33 GHz C2D Proc
20" iMac G4 PPC
quaydvt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Migrating from a single drive to dual SSD/HDD Reply with quote

Not sure where to look so feel free to redirect me if this question has been answered elsewhere. I am replacing my 2007 mini. I have a mid-2011 mini quad core server 2.0 GHz coming. It has Mountain lion installed. I am going to swap out the bottom drive with an OWC 240G SSD (also en route) and upgrade the RAM to 16G. I would like to simply migrate my exisiting superduper backup of Lion (then upgrade to ML if I want to - haven't decided yet!) onto the new mini, keeping the OS and apps on the SSD and the rest of my home folder on the HDD. I have rarely (if ever!) gone into terminal for anything, and was wondering if someone can give me a "dummies" or newbies version of how best to go about this process without tearing my hair out or going to the apple store Confused Or should I just place the entire home folder (apps and all) on the HDD? I just thought having the apps on the SSD would speed them up (my reason for going SSD in the first place). Thanks to all.
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Migrating from a single drive to dual SSD/HDD Reply with quote

quaydvt wrote:
I just thought having the apps on the SSD would speed them up (my reason for going SSD in the first place). Thanks to all.

I would really consider doing a fresh install of Mountain Lion on the SSD. That gives you the best and most reliable base to start from. Then install your apps on the SSD for faster access. You don't want them sitting on the remaining 500GB drive. Just use that one for your files and media. I would also think about using the pulled 500GB in an external enclosure as a backup for the remaining internal 500GB drive. Then you won't have to worry about failures, cause you can swap them right out.
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
quaydvt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Migrating from a single drive to dual SSD/HDD Reply with quote

I have an enclosure coming from OWC for the HDD I'm removing for just what you suggested Smile I am wondering the best way to migrate my files across to the remaining HD so that the OS will find them. From the little I've been able to find, there might be a problem since they normally would be all installed on the same drive. Just moving them might make it so that the system might not find them. I read (and bookmarked the page) that the best way is to go into terminal and re-write a few lines to tell the OS where they are - ie on a different drive than the OS would expect them to be. Am I making any sense? Or is this a non-issue? I'm trying to line up the ducks so that when everything arrives I can do the upgrading and migrate my files from my old mini with a few hiccups as possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: