123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help- looking to get a cheap 2560x1440 monitor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uab123mini

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Help- looking to get a cheap 2560x1440 monitor Reply with quote

I've currently got a late 2009 mini (2.26). I'd like to upgrade my monitor and have been looking at getting one of the inexpensive 2560x1440 monitors. I don't need anything great for what I use it for - just email and web browsing- so I'm not too concerned about image quality. I mostly just want the the extra resolution and screen real estate.

So... I'm trying to figure out what inputs I need. Here's what I'm looking to be able to do:
1. Run my current late 09 mini @ 2560x1440 (prefer w/o VGA because I need it for #2 below)
2. Connect my work laptop via vga (1920x1080 or 1200 is fine)
3. If (read 'when') I upgrade to a new mini, I can run it at 2560x1440.

Any guidance it appreciated.

btw- here is an example of the monitor I'm looking at (but with diff inputs).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACHIEVA-Shimian-QH270-Lite-27-Wide-QHD-PC-Monitor-DVI-D-2560x1440-USA-110V-NEW-/271046540951?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item3f1ba1fe97

Thanks!
[/url]
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with that brand, but the specs look good on paper. I mean, most displays @ 2560x1440 are still pretty expensive. Most even cost than the Thunderbolt display, which happens to be a gorgeous display in person. I just think it lacks in connection options. And this is coming from the owner of an old ACD. You may take a look at some of the 27" displays from Viewsonic. They always seem offer decent quality at a lower price.

Edit: Found a review of that Shimian.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5885/the-achieva-shimian-qh270-a-350-27inch-wqhd-sips-display

I'm not sure how it compares to the "Lite" model, but I might give it a shot based on those numbers and information.
castaway

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Samsung T27B750. It gets positive reviews and retails for around 500 dollars in the States. It only has a resolution of 1920 x 1080 though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-27-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B007PZKIVO
jibberjabber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to derail, but after 30 years of Mac use I have learned to not compromise or cheap out on displays, because I always regret it later. My basement is full of old "bargain" monitors, while the pricier ones keep working and don't give me headaches.

Value is good in some things (I'm a Mini user, after all!) but your eyes and head and productivity will thank you for buying a decent quality monitor.

The Samsung mentioned above is quite good, as are most Samsungs... that's about my best of the 'medium cheap' brands. If you can dig through specs carefully, I have found that if the actual display panels is made by LG, it's probably a very good display, no matter who the final manufacturer of the overall monitor/case/plastics is. I think Apple uses LG for the Cinemas, or used to?

Apologies if this is preachy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: