123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NewerTech Intros miniStack Classic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: NewerTech Intros miniStack Classic Reply with quote

NewerTech Intros miniStack Classic
Friday, October 12, 2012
Posted by: Staff

NewerTech has announced the release of the miniStack Classic, an updated version of the original miniStack for Mac users. And just like the original miniStack, the new miniStack Classic matches up with the footprint of the 2005-2009 Mac mini. It also features FireWire 800/400 and USB 2.0/1.1 ports for data transfer, as well as an integrated three-port USB 2.0 hub for connecting other devices.

The Newer Technology miniStack Classic is an elegantly designed storage and backup solution that perfectly complements your Mac mini (2009 or earlier) while giving you flexibility with USB 2.0/1.1 or FireWire 800/400 data connections. Its durable, painted aluminum-looking finish with a glossy white top offers an identical footprint to seamlessly stack with your Mac mini and maximize your desktop space. And an integrated three USB 2.0 port powered hub reduces clutter by providing a convenient way to connect and charge cellphones, tablet computers and other USB-equipped devices.

With up to 4TB of capacity, the miniStack Classic is ready to handle the demands of extended storage or backup making it the perfect solution for storing music, photo and video libraries, as well as acting as a boot drive. You can also choose between USB 2.0/1.1 and FireWire 800/400 for data transfer speeds up to 100MB/s.

A three-port integrated USB 2.0 powered hub on the back helps reduce unsightly clutter and makes the miniStack Classic convenient for connecting iPhones, mice, keyboards or other devices. It can also be added to an Airport Extreme wireless network via USB to wirelessly share files, perform Time Machine backups, and share other devices like printers. Plus, miniStack Classic is A/V rated for high-performance home entertainment systems and sharing content with Apple TV.

Featuring five pre-configured solutions from 500GB up to 4TB, as well as two "add your own drive" enclosure only kits, the miniStack Classic is available from retailers and Newer Technology's exclusive distributor, Other World Computing. Pricing for the miniStack Classic starts at $67.99.

And don't forget, NewerTech also offers the all new miniStack for the 2010-2011 Mac mini. Pricing for it starts and $89.99.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1898.html
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see.

The Mac mini is a very versatile machine, therefore it is often repurposed. Units that get a little older are ofter repurposed as dedicated home theatre units or media servers. This product should be popular for people wanting to get a little more life out of their older minis.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there are a lot of old Mac minis floating around out there.

Personally, I would love to see LaCie bring back the LaCie mini for the Mac mini. Specifically in something matching the 2010/2011 form factor. The old model is one of my favorite external hard drives ever. I just think it would be really popular for the newer Mac minis. That being said, the new Ministack for the 2010/2011 Mac minis looks nice too. It looks like they made the switch from plastic to aluminium. I remember that always being one of the top requests for the old models. No one seemed to care for the plastic at the time.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
Personally, I would love to see LaCie bring back the LaCie mini for the Mac mini.

Me too. I still have mine from way back. FW400. I put a 500GB EIDE drive in. Hopefully it never dies as I don't want to spend money on an old drive like that ever again.

It's strange that LaCie discontinued the mini stack long before the old body style mini was discontinued. It really did complement the excellent quality of the Mac mini.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect it was more of a loss of the supply chain. I would venture to guess you had one vendor sourcing the different versions of miniStacks.

I saw the new miniStacks a few days ago when I was looking to see if I could find any of the old ones in the Bring Your Own (SATA) Drive to replace my old miniStack with a PATA drive in it.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Grumpy Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
I suspect it was more of a loss of the supply chain. I would venture to guess you had one vendor sourcing the different versions of miniStacks.

I saw the new miniStacks a few days ago when I was looking to see if I could find any of the old ones in the Bring Your Own (SATA) Drive to replace my old miniStack with a PATA drive in it.

SC
Your picture sure does not look grumpy
Blaine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know when the MiniStack with the built-in optical drive is coming out?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: