123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Connecting an early 08 Macbook to a Dlink wireless router

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Connecting an early 08 Macbook to a Dlink wireless router Reply with quote

I bought my brother a Macbook. It connected like nothing to my airport. He has a Verizon D Link wireless router. He just can't get it connected it keeps asking for a WEP password when he doesn't have one. I've googled a bunch and can't seem to help him. Any help would be appreciated. I have to go by screen shots he sent me as well. So it may take time. He said there is no Off for ipv6 just auto, manual, and link local only. If that helps any.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You best bet would be to plug in a cat 5 cable and connect to router that way which will bypass the wireless security and should let you view the routers set up pages. You usually do this through a browser and a url along the lines of http://192.168.1.1 etc he can find this if he looks in his network settings once hooked up to the router. In the Network settings click on ethernet and it will show his Ip Address, subnet mask and router. The router is the address he needs. On windows its listed as gateway I think.

Once there it should ask him for his login and password and then he should be able to set up the router and change the wireless security to WPA or WPA2 if it doesn't support that then I'd give up and buy a new router. WEP is as good as useless these days. If he doesn't know the password he should be able to do a reset on it back to factory defaults. There is usually a little reset button on the back of the router that you have to hold in.

BTW He may may be able to upgrade the firmware in the router so its probably worth trying that before he completely gives up if the security is WEP only.

Do you know the model number of the D-Link router ?

{edit}
I'm in the UK so I'm not sure about Verizon but I think they are one of your mobile, cable carriers aren't they ? So I'm guessing as this is a Verizon D-Link that its likely to be the router they provided. It may have a customised firmware already installed by the ISP so ignore my post about upgrading its firmware for now.

I did have a D-Link ISP provided router (supplied by NTL who became later Virgin Media). With this model I was able to flash it with the DD-WRT firmware which improved it no end and it worked a treat Smile but his ISP may not play nicely if he hacks their firmware.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cypher thanks for the tips. I will pass this along to him. The WEP is on the macbook end I think his router is WPA which is weird so is my setup I had no problems with my airport extreme. It being apple its probably no wonder. Here is what he gets when he tries to connect.

Types in his regular wireless password and it doesn't work. He has a Playstation, a Wii hooked up wirelessly just can't get this older macbook to connect. So I am guessing the macbook wants a WEP password but he doesnt' have one.

macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no offense here i dont trust this post at all sounds fishy to me
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ray,

sorry about the fishy smell around here, I'm not sure what thats about Confused

I may have this wrong but it looks to me like its the router which is requesting a WEP password.

What model & year Macbook is it ? It could be it just too old and doesn't know what WPA is.

mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would strongly agree with Cypher - get the router (any router) to work with WPA or WPA2 (and the DSL-2750B definitely supports it - just checked.)

I had an iPad that recently updated to IOS6, and it wouldn't connect to a WEP router. Changed the router to WPA2 and bingo! ...or Bazinga!

WEP is now so old that it's a problem in itself these days.
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys I passed it along. He acted like his router was WPA and the macbook was wanting the WEP. It's an early 08 "black" macbook. He has gotten his PS3, and Wii plus iPhone ( still on iOS 5 I believe) to connect to this router. I got got his laptop to connect to my airport extreme which is wpa2 personal I believe. The macbook is running the latest Lion OS.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 2008 Macbook should be capable of connecting to a WPA router. I had a 2007 White Macbook and that connected fine to WPA.

macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually!!!!!!

You might have a point if the macbook doesn't contain a n card and the router is a n router you might be in trouble
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macman not sure if that is the case. He said he tried so many things he is about to give up. He is thinking of springing for a used apple extreme base. I wonder if it would conflict with the wireless router he has or if it will just bypass it with ease I never owned one. I just got a regular modem then a extreme base. I kind of feel bad now pushing this older model on him. I thought it would save him money plus they look cool to boot, and get into the apple camp. He knows iphone but not the computers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: