123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tim Cook Apologizes for Maps in iOS 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Tim Cook Apologizes for Maps in iOS 6 Reply with quote

Tim Cook Apologizes for Maps in iOS 6
Friday, September 28, 2012
Posted by: Staff

Apple CEO Tim Cook has posted an open letter to iOS 6 users regarding criticism over Apple's new Maps application. In the letter, he apologizes for the application not meeting expectations, ensures users that Apple is dedicated to making the Maps application better, and offers alternative mapping solutions to users looking for something else in the meantime. Down below is a full copy of the letter.

To our customers,

At Apple, we strive to make world-class products that deliver the best experience possible to our customers. With the launch of our new Maps last week, we fell short on this commitment. We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused our customers and we are doing everything we can to make Maps better.

We launched Maps initially with the first version of iOS. As time progressed, we wanted to provide our customers with even better Maps including features such as turn-by-turn directions, voice integration, Flyover and vector-based maps. In order to do this, we had to create a new version of Maps from the ground up.

There are already more than 100 million iOS devices using the new Apple Maps, with more and more joining us every day. In just over a week, iOS users with the new Maps have already searched for nearly half a billion locations. The more our customers use our Maps the better it will get and we greatly appreciate all of the feedback we have received from you.

While we're improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest and Waze, or use Google or Nokia maps by going to their websites and creating an icon on your home screen to their web app.

Everything we do at Apple is aimed at making our products the best in the world. We know that you expect that from us, and we will keep working non-stop until Maps lives up to the same incredibly high standard.

Tim Cook

Apple's CEO

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1889.html

Last edited by admin on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about bringing back the old app and putting this turd in beta? That seems like a good idea. Plus, they still have a year left on the contract with Google.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i agree during the beta test people said hey this thing doesn't work they where not kidding and you should have listened apple
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's all that bad. At least around my area.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The apology from Cook is brave and noble, but I think it's going to be hard catching up with Google. They have such a lead and have dedicated so many resources to building a better maps product over the years. Apple just doesn't seem as focused at this point. It's also going to take years and years of collecting the kind of data to compete. But then again, Apple can throw so much money around these days. And now that they have been embarrassed, it's going to be put up or shut up.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan. That being said, the map of Portland and surrounding areas isn't that bad. I also like the integrated turn-by-turn directions. I guess my complaints are with the speed and detail of the maps in comparison to the app powered by Google. I don't like being thrown out to Yelp for information either.
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iSorry!
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm the odd one out so far the maps in my area have been better, wish they'd zoom in a bit more but the Nav feature works great. I find the turn by turn system much better then the google maps. I'd like to see improvements but for local nav I'm happy enough. For longer trips I never used Google before and I won't use Apple as I want to program POIs and I need navigation even when I'm out of cell service.
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y-Guy wrote:
I guess I'm the odd one out so far the maps in my area have been better, wish they'd zoom in a bit more but the Nav feature works great.

That's like the major difference in my area. Google gets you in a tab closer in satellite mode with finer detail.

I disagree with the earlier comment about speed. I think this app is actually faster than the old one. Like when you're scrolling or zooming in on something.
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Jobs once said that Apple didn't know how to do the backend for maps and search. It wasn't in their DNA. Instead, he said that Apple should focus on building great hardware with a front end focused on the customer. Who knows how he would feel about it today, but he just might have been onto something.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The map works well for me in CO, but I found it rather annoying and at times useless, in NY. It must be those in larger cities that have the most issues with the app.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: