123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wordperfect?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Wordperfect? Reply with quote

I'm trying to convert a friend of mine to a Mac, but he loves Wordperfect and won't touch Office. Does anyone know whether Wordperfect is still available for Mac anywhere?

Thanks.
cinemafia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This pretty much explains the WordPerfect situation, and that you can still run the last (now free) Mac version of WP in Classic...which is going to be pretty clunky (both in terms of speed and the dated GUI).

Another alternative is Nisus Writer, which is a great word processor and has a big following amongst former WP-users. It's also the app of choice of Haruki Murakami, one of my favorite writers.

Lastly there's Mellel, which I use. It's targeted towards students and scholars and otherwise has a big following amongst those who avoid MS products.
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Cinemafia. I've passed this on to my friend. I'm determined to convert somebody!

Martin
poisonfist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cinemafia wrote:
This pretty much explains the WordPerfect situation, and that you can still run the last (now free) Mac version of WP in Classic...which is going to be pretty clunky (both in terms of speed and the dated GUI).

Another alternative is Nisus Writer, which is a great word processor and has a big following amongst former WP-users. It's also the app of choice of Haruki Murakami, one of my favorite writers.

Lastly there's Mellel, which I use. It's targeted towards students and scholars and otherwise has a big following amongst those who avoid MS products.

Haha, I did NOT expect to see Murakami's name pop up in a forum like this. I too, love his work. He is leading the way for the next generation Japanese novel writers encouraging them to break traditional [Japanese] molds. Many traditional (old farts?) literature critics of Japan dislike his work and yet, his novels keep disproving their views getting excellent reviews from hard-to-please NY Times book reviewers like Michiko Kakutani. Most of the translated books I have read are very well done, interpreting Murakami's unique ambience.

328i sport package
cinemafia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poisonfist wrote:

Haha, I did NOT expect to see Murakami's name pop up in a forum like this. I too, love his work. He is leading the way for the next generation Japanese novel writers encouraging them to break traditional [Japanese] molds. Many traditional (old farts?) literature critics of Japan dislike his work and yet, his novels keep disproving their views getting excellent reviews from hard-to-please NY Times book reviewers like Michiko Kakutani. Most of the translated books I have read are very well done, interpreting Murakami's unique ambience.

Very cool! I hadn't even heard of Murakami until around 2000 when my brother gave me a copy of Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. Since reading that, I was hooked. I haven't grabbed a copy of Kafka by the Shore yet, but I did recently find a collection of ebooks made from short stories he wrote for several magazines and anthologies, and I've found that I like his short-form fiction even more.

I'm always amazed with that fact that his persona comes through translation so well, I don't whether it's because he has such a strong one or just really talented translators. I was also happy to find out that he was a Mac user, though I don't yet know what model he has. Probably a PowerBook...though I'm sure he'd appreciate all that comes with having a Mini.
poisonfist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cinemafia wrote:
Very cool! I hadn't even heard of Murakami until around 2000 when my brother gave me a copy of Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. Since reading that, I was hooked. I haven't grabbed a copy of Kafka by the Shore yet, but I did recently find a collection of ebooks made from short stories he wrote for several magazines and anthologies, and I've found that I like his short-form fiction even more.

I'm always amazed with that fact that his persona comes through translation so well, I don't whether it's because he has such a strong one or just really talented translators. I was also happy to find out that he was a Mac user, though I don't yet know what model he has. Probably a PowerBook...though I'm sure he'd appreciate all that comes with having a Mini.

Loved "Kafka by the Shore", it is a good read. I have not read the english translation of it yet though. I think he has some say in the translation though, he speaks english quite well (he is a visiting scholar at Harvard right now, I think" so I'm sure he proof reads them and gives it the go. He also does commencement addresses for graduations if given the offer, I recall that he addressed for my sister's university a while back. He is one of the all time favorite authors amongst japanese.

328i sport package
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: